LYNCHBURG, Va., Feb. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- What began as a small fire insurance agency in Lynchburg, Va., is now the largest independent, employee-owned commercial and private risk insurance agency in Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee.
Scott is celebrating its 150-year history and long-standing commitment to insuring risks for individuals and companies. Today, clients turn to Scott to serve as their advisor for workers' compensation, property and casualty, employee benefits, wellness programs, bonds, financial management and private risk.
At Scott, the underlying desire to develop unique approaches to risk management that deliver results has flourished. "Working with Scott, our customers are ahead of the curve in protection, prevention and cost. They've saved millions by having the most effective and innovative insurance services in the industry delivered by trained specialists who don't just stay on the cutting edge of the industry, they are defining it," said Hutch Mauck, who assumed the role of president of Scott Insurance this January.
Notable activities supporting Scott's significant growth include:
- Expanding into larger commercial markets by developing an expertise in workers' compensation
and evolving its service capabilities through Scott's proprietary Risk Performance Group. A recent National Council on Compensation Insurance study shows that Scott's claims handling programs result in a cost savings to clients in excess of 27% over average Virginia and North Carolina claims.
- Establishing a leading position in the growing industry segment of captive insurance. Scott launched a client-owned captive in 2001 that has returned more than $17 million to its members.
- Launching one of the first health insurance captives in the United States in 2011.
- Introducing in 2013 the Scott Rx Advantage pharmacy program, which is saving clients 8-20% annually in their pharmacy expenses.
- Building a successful Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Today, Scott is 100% employee owned, which is integral to the company's culture and has led to higher employee satisfaction and 97% employee retention. In 2013, Scott was named among the Best Employers in North Carolina.
"The world has significantly changed in 150 years, but everything we do at Scott is still driven by our entrepreneurial spirit and fundamental philosophy of embracing risk and rewarding performance," said Mauck. "In this spirit, our 150th anniversary is a celebration of our customers, our employees and the communities we serve. As we embark on another 150 years, Scott is focused on our steadfast commitment to our customers and providing the best and most innovative risk management solutions to position them for success. We really are different."
Learn About Our History: www.scott150.com
Scott Insurance, a division of James A. Scott & Son, Inc., is the largest independent, employee-owned provider of Risk Services, Benefit Services, Bonds, and Financial Management in Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. The company has offices in Lynchburg, Roanoke, and Richmond, Virginia; Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte, North Carolina; and Knoxville and Nashville, Tennessee, as well as Captive Insurance operations in the Grand Cayman and Vermont.
Scott Insurance 434.832.2151
- Professional Services
- Financials Industry
- North Carolina