For those looking for very-low-priced sets, Sears will offer two RCA-brand LCD TVs—a 32-inch RCA 720p LCD TV (LED32C33RO) for $180, and the 42-inch RCA 1080p LED LCD TV for (LED42C45RO) for just $300.
Unlike its competitors, Sears opens its doors at 8:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving, two hours later than Best Buy, Target, and Walmart, but it similarly will offer a number of door buster specials that will be available in limited quantities per store, with no rainchecks for sold-out merchandise.
The deals aren't just limited to the two secondary brands; Sears has a lot of Samsung sets in its Black Friday mix. These include:
- a 32-inch Samsung LED LCD TV (UN32EH4003) for $230
- a 40-inch Samsung 1080p LED LCD TV (UN40EH5000) for $380
- a 46-inch Samsung 1080p LED LCD TV (UN46EH5000) for $480
- a 55-inch Samsung 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV (UN55FH6003) for $700
- a 60-inch Samsung 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV (UN60FH6003) for $900
There's also a 60-inch 1080p Sharp LED LCD TV (LC60LE452U) for $800.
Among the other electronics items listed are a Kindle Fire HD for $140, an 8-inch Zeki Android tablet for $80, and a Dell 15.6-inch Inspiron Celeron-based notebook computer for $300. There are also in-ear headphones from JLab, offered in assorted colors, for just $2 per set, and a Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-F5100) for $58.Friday deals
Those willing to wait an extra day can get in on the true Black Friday specials, which include a 39-inch Westinghouse 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV for $250 as a budget draw. The rest of the TV deals are primarily on two major brands: Sharp and Samsung.
Among the listed Black Friday deals on Sharp sets:
- a 32-inch Sharp 1080p LED LCD TV (32LN5310) for $270
- a 50-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC50LE650U) for $750
- a 60-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC60LE650U) for $1,000
- a 70-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC70LE650U) for $1,000
- an 80-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC80LE650U) for $3,000
The ad says they're available in limited quantities, but that prices are good through Dec. 3 if they don't sell out.
For those who prefer Samsung sets, you'll be able to choose from a number of LCD TVs, but Sears will also have a deal on one of the few plasma sets we've seen as part of a Black Friday special: Samsung’s 51-inch 720p PN51F4500, which will be priced at $430, about $70 less than usual. The listed Samsung LCD sets include:
- a 32-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN32EH5300) for $300
- a 40-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN40EH5300) for $400
- a 46-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN46EH5300) for $500
- a 55-inch 1080p Samsung 240Hz 3D-capable smart LED LCD TV (UN55F7100) for $1,300
- a 60-inch 1080p Samsung 240Hz 3D-capable smart LED LCD TV (UN60F7100) for $1,600
We didn't check all the sets, but the 60-inch model is about $300 less expensive than its current price at several retailers, while the 46-inch set is anywhere from $150 to $200 less expensive, although Amazon has it for $580.
Among the other electronic items listed are a number of tablets, including a 10.1-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 16GB tablet for $300, an 8-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 16GB tablet for $250, or a 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8GB tablet for $160. If brand isn't important, there's also a 9.7-inch Mach Speed Android tablet for $130. If you need a set of headphones or earphones to use with a tablet, Sears has JVC Riptidz in- and on-ear models for $5 to $15.Weekend sales
Sears will also have a number of deals that kick off on Thanksgiving and run through the entire four-day holiday weekend. Among the specials are the first Ultra HD TVs we've seen, all from Seiki. Sears has the 39-inch model for $500, the 50-inch set—which we reviewed fairly unfavorably—for $750, and the 55-inch model for $850. These are all among the least-expensive Ultra HD TVs we've seen. The 50-inch set was $1,400 when we tested it, though it's been selling for $1,000 or less more recently.
The other sets available throughout the weeks are primarily from LG and Samsung. Those looking for smaller to midsized screen sizes can consider:
- a 32-inch 720p LG (32LN520B) LED LCD TV for $220
- a 32-inch 1080p Samsung LED LCD TV (UN32EH5000) for $300
- a 39-inch 1080p Samsung LED LCD TV (UN39EH5000) for $300
- a 46-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN46F6300) for $650
- a 47-inch 1080p LG (47LN5200) LED LCD TV for $470
For those in the market for a bigger set, Sears will offer:
- a 55-inch 1080p LG (55LN5200) LED LCD TV for $680
- a 55-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN55F6300) for $900
- a 60-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN60F6300) for $1,200
- a 75-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN75F6300) for $2,500
But we checked the current prices on a number of these sets and found only marginal savings at Sears during the weekend. Our advice is that you check prices with several online retailers if you're looking for a non-door buster TV over the weekend. Often prices on these regular sets will drop even further in December, so it might pay to wait.
We'll be compiling a list of the best deals we've seen so far over the next several days, so keep checking back for our top Black Friday TV deals.
—James K. Willcox
More from Consumer Reports:
Top rated appliances for your home
Guide to the best small SUVs
"As seen on TV" products that are worth it
Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers or sponsors on this website. Copyright © 2007-2013 Consumers Union of U.S.
- Consumer Discretionary
- Hobbies & Personal Activities