- [$$] 9 Health Care Stock Picks From Index-Crushing Fund @ Barrons.com - 16 minutes ago
When Ed Owens left her in charge of the Vanguard Health Care Fund (VGHCX) he had run since 1984, it was the single best-performing stock fund over that period, with annualized returns of 16.3%. Hynes had spent 15 years working for Owens at Wellington Management, the Boston-based firm that oversees the fund for Vanguar …
- House GOP Demands FDA Explain Plaintiffs-Lawyer Lobbying @ BusinessWeek - 18 minutes ago
Did the FDA go out of its way expose generic drug makers to vastly increased liability?
- Nurses Shift, Aiming for More Time With Patients @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
Hospitals hope added face time and personal attention in the patient's room will help make recovery easier.
- Bad Times Continue To Hit Merck's Animal Health Segment @ Seeking Alpha - 35 minutes ago
The management of Merck (NYSE: MRK ) is trying a different strategy now. It is trying to work backwards by re-launching previously recalled drugs from the market along with discovering new drugs. However, ...
- AstraZeneca widens cancer immunotherapy net with Advaxis trial Reuters - 3 hours ago
AstraZeneca is casting its net wider in the hot cancer immunotherapy field through a clinical trial collaboration with U.S. biotech firm Advaxis that will test drugs from both companies in combination. ...
- [$$] Actelion Lifts Guidance as Profit Rises @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Actelion's sales of a new drug helped push core earnings up by more than a quarter in the first half, a performance that prompted Europe's biggest biotech to raise its guidance for the year.
- Actelion Raises Full-Year Profit Forecast on Opsumit Lung Drug @ Bloomberg - 5 hours ago
Actelion Ltd. (ATLN) raised its full-year profit forecast after reporting second-quarter earnings that beat analysts’ expectations because of sales of the new lung drug Opsumit. Core earnings will increase at least in the mid-teen percentage range this year, compared with a previous forecast for growth in a low single-digit …
- [video] Opsumit drug will be a growth driver: Actelion CEO @ CNBC - 5 hours ago
Jean-Paul Clozel, CEO of Actelion, says its new drug Opsumit will be a strong driver of growth for the company.
- [$$] Hospitals, Workers Set Four-Year Agreement @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
Hospitals and 70,000 health-care workers and nurses in the New York City area reached a deal that will avert a strike but doesn't fully resolve the question of whether jobs in a growing number of outpatient ...
- [$$] Accommodating Both Health and Conscience @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The best approach is for employers who oppose contraception to instead fund independently administered health savings accounts (HSAs) or health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs) for their employees.
- [$$] Doctors Upset Over Skill Reviews @ The Wall Street Journal - 5 hours ago
The medical community is embroiled in a bitter debate about what board-certified physicians should be required to do to prove that their knowledge and skills are up-to-date.
- Celgene drug can drive HIV out of hiding -study Reuters - 5 hours ago
* Next step to study Celgene drug with experimental vaccine LONDON, July 22 (Reuters) - An anti-cancer drug made by the U.S. biotech firm Celgene can re-activate hidden HIV in patients so that it can be detected, bringing researchers closer to being able to treat it, Danish scientists said on Tuesday. "There is still …
- U.S. judge tosses FDA panel report on menthol cigarettes Reuters - 7 hours ago
A federal judge ruled on Monday in favor of two tobacco companies that challenged a 2011 U.S. Food and Drug Administration committee report on menthol cigarettes, finding three of the panel's members had conflicts of interests. U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon ordered the FDA reconstitute the committee and barred …
- Kindred says prepared to raise offer for Gentiva Reuters - 10 hours ago
Kindred Healthcare Inc said it is prepared to buy Gentiva Health Services Inc for $17.25 per share, matching an offer by an unnamed party last week. Gentiva shares were marginally up at $18 after markets closed on Monday. Kindred could make a raised offer if it was permitted to conduct diligence, the hospital operator …
- Gentiva Health announces receipt of acquisition proposal from Kindred Healthcare @ theflyonthewall.com - 11 hours ago
Gentiva Health announces receipt of acquisition proposal from Kindred Healthcare
- Kindred Raises Offer for Gentiva Matching Unknown Bidder @ Bloomberg - 11 hours ago
Kindred Healthcare Inc. (KND) , a long-term medical care provider, raised its bid for Gentiva Health Services Inc. (GTIV), adding fuel to a bidding war for the home-care and hospice company. Kindred offered $17.25 a share in cash, the company said in a letter today to Gentiva’s board, matching the amount proposed by an …
- UPDATE 1-Kindred says prepared to raise offer for Gentiva Reuters - 11 hours ago
Kindred Healthcare Inc said it is prepared to buy Gentiva Health Services Inc for $17.25 per share, matching an offer by an unnamed party last week. Gentiva shares were marginally up at $18 after markets closed on Monday. Kindred can make a raised offer if it was permitted to conduct diligence, the hospital operator said …
- J&J buying back $5 billion worth of its shares Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Johnson & Johnson, the world's biggest maker of health care products, plans to buy back up to $5 billion of the company's common stock. The maker of prescription drugs, medical devices and Tylenol said ...
- Final Glance: Biotechnology companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top biotechnology companies were mixed at the close of trading: Amgen Inc. rose $.73 or .6 percent, to $119.03. Biogen Idec fell $1.60 or .5 percent, to $302.50. Celgene Corp. rose $.25 ...
- Final Glance: Pharmaceuticals companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top pharmaceuticals companies were mixed at the close of trading: Baxter International Inc. fell $.41 or .5 percent, to $76.11. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. fell $.20 or .4 percent, to $48.92. ...
- Final Glance: Health Care Equipment companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top health care equipment companies were mixed at the close of trading: Becton, Dickinson & Co. fell $.77 or .6 percent, to $117.84. Covidien unchanged at $88.53. Patterson rose $.16 or ...
- Final Glance: Medical Devices companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top medical devices companies were mixed at the close of trading: Allergan rose $3.74 or 2.2 percent, to $171.14. Baxter International Inc. fell $.41 or .5 percent, to $76.11. Boston Scientific ...
- Final Glance: Managed Care companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top managed care companies were mixed at the close of trading: Aetna fell $.65 or .8 percent, to $83.99. Cigna Corp. fell $.79 or .8 percent, to $95.53. Humana Inc. rose $.42 or .3 percent, ...
- Final Glance: Drug Benefits companies Associated Press - 12 hours ago
Shares of some top drug benefits companies were down at the close of trading: CVSCaremark fell $.43 or .6 percent, to $77.04. Express Scripts Holding Co. fell $.26 or .4 percent, to $65.74.
- [$$] J&J Adds $5 Billion to Stock Buyback Program @ The Wall Street Journal - 12 hours ago
Johnson & Johnson said its board approved an additional $5 billion in stock buybacks.
- Isis Pharma Initiates Phase II Study on ISIS-APO(a) Zacks - 12 hours ago
Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ISIS) initiated a phase II study on ISIS-APO(a) in patients suffering from high lipoprotein(a) -- Lp(a).
- Will Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) Disappoint This Earnings Season? Zacks - 12 hours ago
Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) faces the risk of adoption of its procedures as well as risk of lower capital spending by hospitals
- NPS Pharmaceuticals: The Small Bio-Tech You Should Not Be Ignoring With 30% Upside @ Seeking Alpha - 12 hours ago
NPS Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: NPSP ) is a biopharmaceutical that focuses on developing best-in-class therapies for extremely rare diseases that would otherwise not garner much attention from other competitors. ...
- Johnson & Johnson sets $5 billion share buyback @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson announced late Monday the company's board has approved a $5 billion buyback program of its common stock. Timing of the buybacks is open ...
- [video] Johnson & Johnson announces buyback program @ CNBC - 13 hours ago
CNBC's Dominic Chu reports Johnson & Johnson has announced a new $5 billion stock buyback program.
- Gilead Earnings: Can Sovaldi Reach $3 Billion? @ Motley Fool - 13 hours ago
Sovaldi beat analyst expectations last quarter -- could it again?
- 1 Key Way Obamacare Could Help Johnson & Johnson Stock @ Motley Fool - 13 hours ago
Johnson & Johnson has an interesting opportunity with the insurance overhaul.
- Amarin: Will The Lamb Of Ireland Bleat Or The Lion Of The People Roar? @ Seeking Alpha - 13 hours ago
Amarin (NASDAQ: AMRN ) president and chief executive officer, John Thero has a performance history predicated on poor decision-making. He's been instrumental in bringing the company and perhaps the most ...
- These 3 Dow Stocks Might be Too Richly Valued for You @ Motley Fool - 13 hours ago
Don't chase yield if it means settling for a company with substandard growth.
- An Inefficient Stock Market Will Catch Up To Progenics @ Seeking Alpha - 14 hours ago
Inefficient Market Theory suggests that a company's market capitalization is not always a true reflection of its value, and it can be vastly different than the current value of their future cash flows....
- Investigators say overloaded bins caused collapse Associated Press - 14 hours ago
- Thermo Fisher Wins 3 Oscars of Innovation, Shares Rise Zacks - 14 hours ago
Following the news, Thermo Fisher's (TMO) share price gained 1.7% to eventually close at $121.00 on Friday.
- Biogen Shares Rebound As Street Has A Change Of Heart @ Investor's Business Daily - 14 hours ago
Biogen Idec heads into its second-quarter earnings report on one of its best rolls in years, as the biotech continues to benefit from heavy demand for its drugs to treat multiple sclerosis, cancer and ...
- Under-Promising and Over-Delivering: Why Allergan Is a Buy @ Wall St. Cheat Sheet - 14 hours ago
Given that Allergan has high demand products and solid management, the company continues to absolutely deliver.
- Abbvie's $8 billion in tax breaks from Shire deal may come just in time @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
AbbVie Inc. could realize up to $8 billion in tax breaks over the next 15 years as a result of its merger with Shire PLC, and it may need them, a report says.
- Alkermes' Pipeline Development Impresses, Key Updates Ahead Zacks - 14 hours ago
Alkermes (ALKS) announced the commencement of a phase I study on ALKS 8700.
- Astellas Up on Pipeline Update, Oncology in Focus (revised) Zacks - 15 hours ago
Astellas Pharma, Inc. (ALPMY) provided a comprehensive overview of its initiatives towards innovation, research and development and its corporate strategy.
- [video]Why I'm Shorting Gilead: Sentiment Is Too Positive Ahead of Earnings @ TheStreet.com - 15 hours ago
Nobody thinks it's possible Gilead can sell off, bit it can. I dispel the hype and go short.
- Why Your MRI or CT Scan Costs an Arm and a Leg The Fiscal Times - 15 hours ago
Medical imaging is one of the most common and overused diagnostic techniques used today, and by far the costliest. While cancer caused by radiation from medical imaging can be a long-term concern, the more immediate worry for someone facing a new diagnosis is usually cost. The good news is that there are at least a few …
- Revenue Up 27%: Time to Buy Athenahealth Stock? @ Motley Fool - 15 hours ago
Athenahealth posted solid sales growth in the second quarter as it won share from Allscripts and Quality Systems, but investors are right to worry over lackluster earnings.
- Pfizer's Stock Falls Ill as the Dow Tumbles @ Motley Fool - 15 hours ago
AbbVie's stock falls after its market-shaking deal to acquire Shire on Friday.
- [video] Gaza hospital hit, 4 dead: Report @ CNBC - 16 hours ago
The death toll is rising in the Middle East as a hospital in Gaza City was hit. NBC's Ayman Mohyeldin reports hospitals in the region do not have the basic needs to meet the demands of the people.
- Welcome to Ireland, AbbVie @ Motley Fool - 16 hours ago
AbbVie paid a whopping $54.8 billion for Shire, but it's a good deal--assuming the U.S. Congress doesn't pass a law undercutting the tax gains.
- Will Boston Scientific (BSX) Surprise this Earnings Season? Zacks - 16 hours ago
Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) is scheduled to report its second-quarter 2014 results before the opening bell on Jul 24.
- Medivation Significantly Undervalued, With Xtandi Weeks Away From Prostate Cancer Label Expansion @ Seeking Alpha - 16 hours ago
Investors in biotechnology stocks, including myself, are always trying to balance risk and reward when purchasing stocks in this highly volatile sector. Having a biomedical Ph.D., I spend endless hours ...