- Bull of the Day: Acadia Healthcare (ACHC) Zacks - 4 hours ago
Trends in rehab and the tailwinds of Obamacare should keep this specialty hospital in favor
- Healthcare FSAs Increase Your Personal Savings @ Investopedia - 4 hours ago
This benefit could give you a return this year that puts many other investments to shame.
- [$$] New Implantable Pump Could Cut Diabetes Treatments @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
A diabetes drug delivered continuously from a small implantable pump resulted in a sustained reduction in blood sugar in patients in two studies, potentially setting the stage for a once-a-year treatment ...
- [$$] Maker of Painkiller Tries to Curb Abuse @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The maker of the opioid painkiller Zohydro ER submitted an application to the FDA for a new version that it contends will be less susceptible to abuse.
- [$$] New Vaccines Target Deadly Virus in Pigs @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Drug companies are racing to create vaccines to stifle a deadly swine virus that has roiled the U.S. meat industry and pushed pork prices to record highs.
- [$$] Payments Reveal Range of Doctors' Ties With Industry @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Some of the doctors who received the biggest payments last year from drug and medical-device companies got them for purposes that had nothing to do with patient care.
- [$$] ObamaCare's Anti-Innovation Effect @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Socked by new taxes, U.S. health-care technology companies are moving R&D centers and jobs overseas.
- U.S. Monitors Contacts of Ebola Patient in Texas @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Health authorities are monitoring for symptoms of Ebola in at least a dozen people who came into contact with a Liberian man before he was hospitalized in Dallas, a move to prevent the virus's spread in ...
- Hedge Funds Listen In on Patient Chats for Pharma Bets Bloomberg - 5 hours ago
In the data age, a handful of companies are packaging conversations on Facebook, Twitter and online patient forums to sell to drugmakers, insurers and hospitals eager to understand how people manage their health in the real world. One of them has started putting its data-excavating skills to use beyond the health-care …
- Cedars-Sinai says number of patient files in data breach much higher @ Los Angeles Times - 8 hours ago
A data breach this summer involving Cedars-Sinai Medical Center patient records was much worse than previously disclosed.
- Ebola Death Toll Passes 3,300 as First U.S. Case Found Bloomberg - 9 hours ago
The death toll from Ebola in West Africa rose to 3,338, a sign the outbreak isn't abating as the first case diagnosed outside Africa was confirmed in the U.S. The outbreak has spurred 7,178 infections through Sept. 28, the World Health Organization said yesterday in a statement. Almost all of the Ebola virus disease cases …
- AstraZeneca Whale Racing With Minnow to Develop Lung Cancer Drug @ Bloomberg - 10 hours ago
AstraZeneca Plc (AZN) , the U.K.’s second-largest pharmaceutical company, and Clovis Oncology Inc. (CLVS) of Boulder, Colorado, both intend to seek approval from regulators next year. Both drugs, which target a form of the disease that has resisted treatment, have received breakthrough therapy designation from the Food …
- Inovio CEO: New Ebola vaccine effective in animals @ CNBC - 10 hours ago
An Ebola vaccine in development has shown preliminary success in beating back the deadly virus, Inovio CEO Joseph Kim says.
- Actavis rival results positive Investor's Business Daily - 10 hours ago
Newly public Ardelyx (ARDX) reported positive midstage trial data for its bowel-disease drug tenapanor, sending Ardelyx stock up 33.7% to 19. Tenapanor, which is being developed with branded drug giant ...
- Final Glance: Medical Devices companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top medical devices companies were mixed at the close of trading: Allergan rose $1.48 or .8 percent, to $179.67. Baxter International Inc. fell $.26 or .4 percent, to $71.51. Boston Scientific ...
- Final Glance: Pharmaceuticals companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top pharmaceuticals companies were mixed at the close of trading: Baxter International Inc. fell $.26 or .4 percent, to $71.51. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. fell $.29 or .6 percent, to $50.53. ...
- Final Glance: Managed Care companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top managed care companies were down at the close of trading: Aetna fell $1.18 or 1.5 percent, to $79.82. Cigna Corp. fell $1.25 or 1.4 percent, to $89.44. Humana Inc. fell $2.30 or 1.8 ...
- Final Glance: Drug Benefits companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top drug benefits companies were down at the close of trading: CVSCaremark fell $.45 or .6 percent, to $79.14. Express Scripts Holding Co. fell $.56 or .8 percent, to $70.07.
- Final Glance: Health Care Equipment companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top health care equipment companies were mixed at the close of trading: Becton, Dickinson & Co. fell $.21 or .2 percent, to $113.60. Covidien rose $2.17 or 2.5 percent, to $88.68. Patterson ...
- Final Glance: Biotechnology companies Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of some top biotechnology companies were down at the close of trading: Amgen Inc. fell $1.64 or 1.2 percent, to $138.82. Biogen Idec fell $7.31 or 2.2 percent, to $323.50. Celgene Corp. fell $1.35 ...
- Esperion shares rally on cholesterol drug study @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Shares of Esperion Therapeutics rally after the drug developer said its treatment significantly lowered bad cholesterol in patients enrolled in a clinical trial.
- [video] Faces of the Affordable Care Act: Small-Business Owner @ MarketWatch - 11 hours ago
Tommy Cain, who employs 250 people at his chain of five grocery stores, offers coverage to his workers, but is concerned about whether it will be affordable to them.
- Esperion jumps on high-cholesterol drug data Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Shares of Esperion Therapeutics surged in aftermarket trading Wednesday after the company reported positive clinical trial results for its experimental high-cholesterol drug ETC-1002. The company said ...
- One Horrifying Sentence Explains Why Ebola Has Spread So Quickly Business Insider - 11 hours ago
A vivid and terrifying story in The New York...
- Anthem, hospital group hit impasse on contract Associated Press - 11 hours ago
Contract talks broke down Wednesday between Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and a network of five hospitals and other facilities across the state, leaving thousands of residents facing higher health ...
- [video] Healthcare Assets Leading Indian Inbound Deals, Plus IPOs @ TheStreet.com - 12 hours ago
Healthcare Global, an Indian cancer company with more than $200 million in revenue, is readying itself for a public market offering there.
- Massachusetts Overbills Feds $106 M for Medicaid The Fiscal Times - 12 hours ago
For years, states have significantly overbilled the federal government for Medicaid reimbursements--costing the program hundreds of millions of extra tax dollars each year. By using schemes to overstate how much they’ve spent to cover their programs’ beneficiaries, states like New York, Pennsylvania and North Carolina …
- Wall Street tumbles on Ebola fears; small caps drop Reuters - 12 hours ago
- Esperion shares rally on cholesterol drug study results @ MarketWatch - 12 hours ago
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Esperion Therapeutics Inc. shares rallied in the extended session Wednesday after the drug developer said a mid-stage clinical trial showed its drug candidate significantly ...
- Feds sue Wisconsin company over wellness program Associated Press - 12 hours ago
The federal government has sued a Wisconsin company over its wellness program, saying the business cannot require employees to participate and punish those who don't. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity ...
- Ebola drug stocks surge as virus spreads to U.S. @ CNNMoney.com - 12 hours ago
The first confirmed Ebola case in the U.S. is fanning fears around the country, but it's also driving greed in some corners of the stock market. Just look at the soaring stock price of drug companies scrambling ...
- Fire that killed hospital CEO, wife ruled arson Associated Press - 12 hours ago
A fire that killed the president of a major southern New Jersey hospital and his wife has been ruled arson. The Somerset County prosecutor's office announced its finding Wednesday. Investigators determined ...
- [video] Texas DSHS: Dallas sophisticated city & hospital @ CNBC - 12 hours ago
CNBC's Meg Tirrell reports the latest on the Ebola patient admitted to a hospital in Texas.
- [video] Ebola: The Gear Worn To Prevent Infection @ MarketWatch - 13 hours ago
Bodily fluids present an infection risk to medical workers treating patients with Ebola. What gear do they wear? WSJ's Jason Bellini has #TheShortAnswer.
- Actavis in Patent Infringement Lawsuit for Purdue's Butrans Zacks - 13 hours ago
Actavis plc (ACT) is looking to bring its generic version of Purdue Pharma's Butrans to the market.
- Ebola vaccine: Why it's taking so long to make one @ CNBC - 13 hours ago
Efforts to develop an Ebola vaccine have been in the works for some time. But experts say it's unlikely to see one available anytime soon.
- Esperion drug succeeds in lowering LDL cholesterol -study Reuters - 13 hours ago
A new type of experimental cholesterol fighter being developed by Esperion Therapeutics Inc lowered LDL levels significantly more than Merck & Co Inc's Zetia in a midstage clinical trial, the company said on Wednesday. In the 12-week study involving 348 patients with high LDL cholesterol the Esperion drug, ETC-1002, led …
- Conatus Pharmaceuticals Appoints David T. Hagerty as Executive VP, Clinical Development Benzinga - 13 hours ago
Conatus Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: CNAT ), a biotechnology company focused on the development and commercialization of novel medicines to treat liver disease, today announced the appointment of David ...
- Bristol-Myers' Opdivo under Review in EU for Lung Cancer Zacks - 13 hours ago
Bristol-Myers (BMY) said that Opdivo is under review in the EU for lung cancer.
- [video] Perry Says Texas Ebola Case Has `All Hands on Deck' @ Bloomberg - 13 hours ago
Oct. 1 (Bloomberg) –- Texas Governor Rick Perry speaks about a patient diagnosed with Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. The Texas Health and Human Services Department’s David Lakey ...
- AbbVie Announces Positive Results on Oncology Candidate Zacks - 13 hours ago
AbbVie (ABBV) announced positive results from early and mid-stage studies on its oncology candidate, veliparib.
- Getting Ebola treatments to market may take time @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
Officials say it may take a year or more for a therapy to be approved, and even longer for a vaccine.
- A Look At Exact Sciences Corporation's Stock Benzinga - 14 hours ago
Exact Sciences Corporation earlier this week was highlighted for being favored strongly by financial institutions. The institutions held about 96 percent of the company's stock, and that amount had increased ...
- Ebola in America? Don't Worry About It @ Bloomberg - 14 hours ago
Health officials have known for weeks that it would happen, and now it has: A case of Ebola has been diagnosed in the U.S. More such cases are to be expected, in others who travel to the U.S. Ebola is a horrible sickness that has already killed more than 3,000 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. In other words: …
- Dallas Ebola Patient Let Go After Telling of Liberia Trip Bloomberg - 14 hours ago
The first man to be diagnosed in the U.S. The man would return by ambulance two days later, be placed in an isolation unit at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital and confirmed as infected. The two-day gap, when the man was in the community and contagious, occurred because "regretfully, that information was not fully communicated" …
- Sovaldi pricing raises debate over drug costs @ MarketWatch - 14 hours ago
With the California-based drug manufacturer Gilead Sciences planning to roll out another hepatitis C medication, academics said Wednesday that policy changes are needed in the costly drug market so the ...
- YOUR MONEY-How to choose the best rehab facility Reuters - 14 hours ago
This summer, I had the arduous and rushed task of picking a rehabilitation center for my dad, as post-operative complications left him to ill to return home at the time, yet the hospital was keen to discharge him. Recent market research by Genesis HealthCare shows that 96 percent of people between 60 and 75 don't expect …
- Seattle Genetics-Takeda Reveal Impressive Adcetris Data Zacks - 14 hours ago
Seattle Genetics, Inc. (SGEN) and partner Takeda announced positive top-line data from the randomized phase III AETHERA study on Adcetris for Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Drugmaker submits harder-to-abuse Zohydro to FDA Associated Press - 14 hours ago
The maker of the much-debated painkiller Zohydro is seeking approval of a harder-to-abuse version of the drug which, if approved, could replace the currently marketed version of the pill by next spring. ...
- Ebola-Related Pharma Stocks Soar On First U.S. Case @ Investor's Business Daily - 15 hours ago
Shares of Tekmira Pharmaceuticals and other drugmakers involved in Ebola treatments rose Wednesday after officials disclosed the first case of Ebola initially diagnosed on U.S. soil late Tuesday. Tekmira ...