Summer is already here—at least according to the unofficial Memorial Day calendar kick-off—and you need a travel vacation.
But, you haven't planned much in advance, and in this tight economy, you can't afford to pay the typically higher price of last-minute bookings.
How do you save when you're planning travel with only 4 to 6 weeks—or less—until departure?
That's what we want to know for an upcoming feature in the Consumer Reports Money Adviser. And since you—Consumer Reports readers—are the sharpest shoppers in the land, we'd like to hear your real-life stories, advice, and tips detailing how you discovered, negotiated, wangled, or tripped over last-minute travel bargains.
Simply click on this online interview link to share your story and wisdom with us and your Consumer Reports brothers and sisters.
We're looking for your saving secrets in these 6 major travel-expense areas:
- Place: Choice of destination
- Getting there: Via jet, train, car, bus, bike, llama...
- Lodging: Hotel, motel, hostel, B&B, house-swap, house/flat rental, resort, time-share, cruise, friends & family, camping & RV, and other alternatives
- Car: Saving on car rentals; opting to take a road trip with your own car
- Food: Reducing the high price of dining out while traveling
- Fun: Discount ticket deals, choice of activity, packages
And, when responding to our online interview please be sure to tell us some memorable details about the thrifty vacation on which you acquired and/or tested your money saving wisdom.
If our editors want to use your story and advice, a Consumer Reports reporter may follow up with you for additional details.
In the meantime, if you're planning to travel this summer, chill out until the August issue of the Consumer Reports Money Adviser, in mailboxes around mid-July--just in time for last-minute, late summer travel planning.
More from Consumer Reports:
Advice to help manage your personal finance decisions
Best and worst products for your home
Expert, unbiased ratings and reviews
Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers or sponsors on this website. Copyright © 2007-2013 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission.
- Personal Finance - Lifestyle
- Travel & Tourism
- Consumer Reports