GENEVA--(Marketwire - Feb 26, 2013) - STMicroelectronics (
ST's new strategy addresses the wireless market, focusing on the fastest-growing segments and leveraging the already established strong customer relationships with the major wireless players in the industry. These growing segments -- Sensors, Imaging and Opto, MCUs, Standard Logic, Display Drivers, and Discretes -- are projected to grow at a compound annual rate of nearly 17% over the next 4 years, almost 40% faster than the rest of the mobile handset and media tablet market, according to market-research firm IHS. ST's new efforts build on the Company's earlier successes in enabling important innovations for portable electronics in areas as varied as power management, gesture sensing, security and imaging.
Illustrating the breadth and depth of its portfolio, ST's demos cover five key themes in the mobile world:
- Sensing, where ST will build on its position as the world's leading manufacturer of MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) devices and will also introduce a revolutionary proximity detector that cures smartphone hang-ups;
- Security, where ST's Near Field Communication and related Secure Elements provide the optimum solutions for mobile payments, mobile ticketing, securing personal data or interacting with equipment. A demo will highlight ST's Secure Element hosting Google Wallet in Nexus devices;
- Sharing and interaction, where the world's smallest and most efficient image-projection engine uses red, blue and green lasers and MEMS micro-mirrors to project amazing images from a mobile device to any surface;
- Energy management; where ST's unique energy-harvesting EEPROM and other demos will emphasize the Company's commitment to minimizing power consumption; and
- Enhanced audio experience, where industry-unique audio engines and MEMS microphones extend boundaries of innovation in personal audio to realize a new generation of superior-sounding active noise-cancellation headsets and smart audio accessories.
ST will also demonstrate the superior performance of its ground-breaking FD-SOI (Fully-Depleted Silicon-on-Insulator) technology at 28nm that is not only faster than the equivalent bulk CMOS technology but also much simpler to manufacture and allows consumer devices to run cooler and faster.
ST is a global leader in the semiconductor market serving customers across the spectrum of sense and power and automotive products and embedded processing solutions. From energy management and savings to trust and data security, from healthcare and wellness to smart consumer devices, in the home, car and office, at work and at play, ST is found everywhere microelectronics make a positive and innovative contribution to people's life. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2012, the Company's net revenues were $8.49 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
 IHS iSuppli: AMFT 4Q'12
 IHS iSuppli: MEMS Competitive Analysis 2012
ST at MWC 2013: http://hugin.info/152740/R/1680986/549372.pdf
- Technology & Electronics
Director Technical Media Relations
+1 781 591 0354