Stocks were higher Friday but still ended the week net negative. Scoreboard:
Dow: 16,491.38, +44.57, +0.27%
S&P 500: 1,877.86, +7.01, +0.37%
NASDAQ: 4,090.59, +21.30, +0.52%
And now the top headlines:
- The pace of U.S. housing starts surged 13.2% to 1,072,000 in April from 947,000 in March. This was much stronger than the 980,000 pace expected.
- JC Penney shares exploded, climbing 16%, after the retailer reported same-store sales were up 6.2% in Q1, compared with forecasts for 4.2%.
- WWE shares collapsed more than 40% after the company warned online subscribers may never catch up with levels seen in the Pay-Per-View era.
- Preliminary UMich/Reuters consumer confidence data for May fell to 81.8 from 84.1, missing expectations. Consensus was for a reading of 84.5.
More From Business Insider
- STOCKS SLIDE: Here's What You Need To Know
- STOCKS HIT NEW ALL-TIME HIGHS: Here's What You Need To Know
- STOCKS CLOSE AT RECORD HIGH: Here's What You Need To Know
- Stocks & Offerings
- Utility Industry