Birchbox was a trendsetter for the e-commerce subscription space – give them money, you get a box of goodies in the mail. It works because it's simple and novel.
It unsurprisingly kicked off a wave of similar companies catering to specific niches – pet owners, arts and crafts types, and plenty others.
There are lots and lots of these startups, but here's a little roundup of the more interesting box-of-stuff-in-the-mail companies out there:
1. Birchbox– The mainstay. Tell it what you like and it will play DJ to your tastes, from makeup to gadgets to hair/skin care products and more.
2. BarkBox – Birchbox for dog owners! Treats, toys, all things canine.
3. Craftistas – Get all the instructions and materials you need to hand-make something interesting every month. It's $24 per month.
4. GlobeIn's Artisan Gift Box – We've previously reported on GlobeIn, a company that helps artisans from developing countries all around the world by offering a storefront for them to sell their goods. Each box will contain between one and three handmade craft items as well as the story behind the person who made it. It's $30 per month.
5. Popsugar Must Have – For $40 per month, you'll receive " Hand-selected items in beauty, fashion, home, fitness, and food ." That sounds a little vague, so to help you understand what you're signing up for, you can view past boxes here.
6. Sock Panda – Birchbox for socks! It's that simple, and it's $11 per month.
7. Hand-Picked Words – If you'd rather get digital goods, these guys will send you "poems, short stories, letterpress art, and e-books to your inbox" for $15 a month. Perfect gift for a book hound.
More From Business Insider
- Where To Find The Weirdest Stuff On The Internet
- In A Landmark Legal Decision, Google Wins The Right To Scan Pretty Much Every Book Ever
- Crazy Slow-Motion Video Shows What Happens When A 3D-Printed Gun Misfires
- Hobbies & Personal Activities
- Arts & Entertainment