MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA--(Marketwired - Dec 9, 2013) - Symantec (
The growth of mission-critical data and applications, supporting real-time decision-making, is driving SSD adoption to increase performance within the data center. Adoption however has lacked the central management intelligence that customers need to manage their storage efficiently and effectively. Symantec's offering solves this problem while allowing customers to combine SSDs with existing Direct Attached Storage (DAS) and SANs without compromising availability.
New feature highlights
Storage Foundation 6.1 functionalities and benefits include:
- A vendor-agnostic intuitive caching layer, enabled by Symantec's SmartIO technology. SmartIO detects critical application workloads and caches only the hot data on local SSDs, which could result in up to 400 percent improved performance over traditional secondary storage.
- Flexible Storage Sharing (FSS) technology enables servers to access remote data as if it were from local storage. This allows organizations to reduce storage costs by up to 80 percent using commoditized storage hardware, while helping to ensure that all data is replicated, protected, and available.
Partner and analyst quotes: Intel, NetApp, Mellanox, IDC
"IT organizations are challenged to manage massive data growth and improve performance without significantly increasing costs or complexity. Intel's Data Center Family of Solid-State Drives complement Symantec's latest Storage Foundation product to deliver fast, reliable and consistent performance that leverages existing infrastructures for easy deployment and greater cost-efficiency." Pete Hazen, director of marketing, non-volatile memory solutions group, Intel
"Symantec and NetApp are long term partners with a history of delivering innovative solutions to solve customers' most pressing data management challenges. The combined strengths of NetApp storage and the new Storage Foundation 6.1 software helps our mutual customers ease the adoption of new storage technologies such as flash while improving efficiency, performance and simplified management of business critical applications like Oracle, SAP and Microsoft Exchange." Joel Reich, senior vice president and general manager, NetApp
"The exponential growth of data is challenging datacenter architects supporting real-time business analytics. Adopting advanced distributed data processing technology enables enterprises to cope with this data growth and gain a competitive advantage by making critical business decisions in real time. The combination of Solid State Drives, Mellanox's FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand interconnect and Symantec Storage Foundation 6.1 eliminates IO bottlenecks and enables enterprises to achieve their business objectives over the most reliable data center infrastructure." Kevin Deierling, vice president of marketing, Mellanox Technologies
"Symantec's latest offering is designed to help customers leverage the next generation of storage. In today's information-centric world, businesses want both increased performance and cost savings -- and it doesn't make fiscal sense to rip and replace existing storage to deploy new technologies like flash. However, with Storage Foundation 6.1, customers can ease into the adoption of new technologies, while mixing and matching high-end solutions with traditional hardware, without sacrificing existing service levels." Ashish Nadkarni, research director, Storage Systems, IDC
- Symantec Storage Foundation Data Sheet
- Symantec Cluster Server Data Sheet
- Symantec Cluster File System Data Sheet
- Symantec Storage Management and High Availability Solutions
- Symantec Business Continuity - Run Business Run!
- Symantec's State of the Data Center Report
Follow Symantec on Social Media
- Follow Symantec on Twitter
- Join Symantec on Facebook
- Subscribe to Symantec News RSS Feed
- View Symantec's SlideShare Channel
- Visit Symantec Connect Business Community
Symantec protects the world's information, and is a global leader in security, backup and availability solutions. Our innovative products and services protect people and information in any environment -- from the smallest mobile device, to the enterprise data center, to cloud-based systems. Our world-renowned expertise in protecting data, identities and interactions gives our customers confidence in a connected world. More information is available at www.symantec.com or by connecting with Symantec at: go.symantec.com/socialmedia.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room.
Symantec, the Symantec Logo, and the Checkmark Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
- Information Technology
- Technology & Electronics