DALLAS, June 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (TXN) today introduced the industry's highest-performance 14-GHz fractional-N PLLatinum® phased-locked loop (PLL) with advanced frequency modulation. The LMX2492 offers the industry's best noise performance, 6 dB better than the nearest competitor, for improved radio frequency (RF) sensitivity and radar range and accuracy. The device also supports a 200-MHz phase frequency detector, a 5-V charge pump supply and a wide operating frequency range of 500 MHz to 14 GHz. The LMX2492 is offered in industrial and automotive grade (class 1) for military and automotive radar, microwave backhaul, communications, and test and measurement applications. For more information or to order samples and an evaluation module (EVM), visit www.ti.com/lmx2492-pr.
The LMX2492 is part of TI's growing portfolio of clock and timing products offering the industry's highest performance. TI's clock & timing portfolio is also supported by the new WEBENCH® Clock Architect to help reduce time-to-market.
Key features and benefits of the LMX2492:
- Industry's best phase noise performance for improved RF sensitivity: Phase detector frequency of 200 MHz and low PLL phase noise of -227 dBc/Hz provides RF front ends with a low-noise local oscillator for enhanced receiver sensitivity.
- Advanced frequency modulation for improved radar accuracy: Flexible frequency and phase modulation, including frequency shift keying (FSK), phase shift keying (PSK) and configurable piecewise linear FM modulation, increases radar detection range, accuracy and immunity to interference.
- High integration simplifies system complexity: An integrated flexible Fractional-N engine with a 5-V charge pump supply and low-noise and high-precision low dropout regulators (LDOs) allow designers to eliminate external components and simplify the system complexity enabling faster time to market.
Tools and support
The LMX2492 produces an enhanced local oscillator to improve receiver sensitivity and transmitter spectral purity when paired with the LMK04828, the industry's highest-performance clock jitter cleaner, or the LMK03806, a low-jitter, multi-rate clock generator.
Engineers can speed their design with the LMX2492 by using TI's WEBENCH® Clock Architect. It is the industry's first clock and timing design tool that can recommend and simulate a system clock tree solution from a broad database of devices. It features a PLL loop filter design and the ability to simulate phase noise and jitter to optimize the solution for specific applications.
The LMX2492EVM evaluation module (EVM) allows designers to quickly and easily evaluate the functionality and versatility of the device. It can be purchased today for US$199.
Additional support is available on the Clock and Timing Forum in the TI E2E™ Community, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The LMX2492 and the LMX2492-Q1 are both available today in a 4-mm by 4-mm, 24-pin WQFN package. The LMX2492 is available for a suggested retail price of US$8.75 in 1,000-unit quantities, while the LMX2492-Q1 is available for US$9.49 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI at International Microwave Symposium
Visit TI at Booth 2041 at the International Microwave Symposium (IMS) June 1 to 6 for a demonstration on the LMX2492 phase noise characteristic and the programmable piecewise linear FM ramp feature using a signal source analyzer. Click here for more information and to follow TI's IMS activities virtually.
Learn more about TI's clock and timing portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the LMX2492.
- Download the datasheet for the LMX2492.
- Read Analog Wire to find out how to create modulated waveforms using Fractional-PLLs.
- Watch an Engineer It video to learn how to enhance accuracy in radar applications.
- Watch a demonstration video on the ramping features of the LMX2492.
About WEBENCH tools from Texas Instruments
The WEBENCH Designer and Architect component libraries include more than 40,000 components from 120 manufacturers. Price and availability is updated hourly by TI's distribution partners for design optimization and production planning. Offered in eight languages, the user can compare complete system designs and make supply chain decisions in minutes. To start a cost-free design, visit TI's WEBENCH design environment at www.ti.com/webench-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and TI E2E and PLLatinum are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
- Texas Instruments
- frequency modulation
- phase noise