LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwired - Jan 8, 2014) - TiVo Inc. (
- Some 78% of 'streaming-capable' TiVo subscribers use the service each month
- Recorded content accounts for 76% of all streaming sessions; Viewers want the second screen to liberate their favorite shows which they regularly record
- Average number of monthly streaming sessions are up 50% in the second half of 2013 and the time spent on streaming sessions is up 20% per user on a monthly basis
TiVo Inc. (
TiVo data indicates that overall, 78% of 'streaming-capable' TiVo subscribers are streaming content to their mobile devices at least once per month since in-home capability was launched in September 2012. Additionally, the average number of streaming sessions per month has increased by almost 50% in the second half of the year, while the time spent on streaming sessions is up 20% per user on a monthly basis.
"Swift adoption of this innovation highlights that consumers are spending an ever increasing amount of time viewing television on second screens and enjoying the value they place on the flexibility that TiVo provides and with recorded content accounting for 76% of all streaming sessions viewers are telling us they want the second screen to liberate the shows they regularly record," said Tara Maitra, Senior Vice President and GM of Content and Media Sales at TiVo. "The TiVo Roamio is perfect for anyone who wants to watch their television in the living room, to use an iPad as an extra TV in the kitchen or basement or watch their favorite shows thousands of miles from home via streaming or sideloading."
Additional TiVo streaming insights based on November 2013 data include the following:
- Four out of five TiVo streaming sessions were viewed on tablets, while the remaining twenty percent were viewed on smartphones.
- A typical streaming session lasts as long as a 30 minute sitcom, without commercials, with an average user streaming 15.6 sessions per month.
- Recorded content accounts for 76% of all streaming sessions; live streaming accounts for 11%. The balance consists of viewing via sideloaded content that has been transferred directly to a mobile device at home and then played offline.
- Streaming occurs more frequently on weekends, when average daily session counts increase by as much as 13% compared to weekdays.
The top streamed programs for the month of November were led by NFL football, followed by college football, and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart coming in as the third most popular:
|Rank||Network||Top Programs Streamed in November 2013|
|1||Various||NFL Football (any)|
|2||Various||College Football (any)|
|3||Comedy Central||The Daily Show with Jon Stewart|
|4||AMC||The Walking Dead|
|5||ABC||Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.|
|6||CBS||The Big Bang Theory|
|7||NBC||Saturday Night Live|
|10||CBS||How I Met Your Mother|
TiVo's analysis is based on aggregated, anonymous, second-by-second audience measurement data from a sample of 24,918 anonymous households with the Emmy-award winning TiVo service. The report analyzed streaming for the months of July and November 2013. Streaming provides consumers the ability to stream and download their live TV and recorded content to the smartphones and tablets from anywhere.
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. (
TiVo, the TiVo logo, WishList, Season Pass, and Roamio are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.