Foreclosure filings were up 2 percent nationally from January to February. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February. Nationally, 1 in every 849 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of February 2013)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:849 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $179,365
|States1||Average price2||Ratio of foreclosures3||Rates4||Income tax5|
|$73,449||1:485||3.69%||0.587% to 5.925%|
|$167,320||1:704||3.71%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|$106,859||1:705||3.67%||1% to 6%|
|$137,588||1:720||3.75%||2% to 5.75%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in February.
- 2Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- 3Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 4Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's March 13, 2013, overnight averages.
- 5Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com