Foreclosure filings were down 26 percent nationally from 2012 to 2013. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in 2013. Nationally, 1 in every 96 housing units received a foreclosure filing last year.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (for 2013)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:96 housing units
|States1||Ratio of foreclosures2||Rates3||Income tax4|
|1:64||4.48%||2% to 5.75%|
|1:65||4.42%||0.587% to 5.925%|
|1:72||4.44%||1% to 6%|
|1:74||4.45%||3% to 6.7%|
|1:74||4.46%||Up to 7%|
|1:80||4.38%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|1:81||4.43%||Up to 6.75%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in 2013.
- 2Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 3Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Jan. 16, 2013, overnight averages.
- 4Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com