Foreclosure filings were up 8 percent nationally from December to January. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January. Nationally, 1 in every 1,058 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (for January 2014)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:1,058 housing units
|States1||Ratio of foreclosures2||Rates3||Income tax4|
|1:543||4.27%||2% to 5.75%|
|1:619||4.27%||1.4% to 8.97%|
|1:752||4.25%||3% to 6.7%|
|1:818||4.23%||Up to 6.75%|
|1:850||4.23%||Up to 7%|
|1:885||4.22%||0.587% to 5.925%|
|1:921||4.28%||1% to 12.3%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January.
- 2Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 3Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Feb. 12, 2014, overnight averages.
- 4Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com