MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Twelve drivers representing FedEx Corp. (FDX) operating companies placed among the top three finishers in their respective truck classes at the 2013 National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC) in Salt Lake City, Aug. 20-24.
- Roland Bolduc, a driver for FedEx Express domiciled in Windsor, Conn., won the 3-Axle National Champion title for the second consecutive year. A professional driver for 29 years, Bolduc has accumulated more than 1.5 million safe-driving miles during his career and has earned 11 state truck driving championship titles. He is also a former captain for the American Trucking Associations’ (ATA) America’s Road Team.
- Wayne Crowder, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Louisville, Ky., won the National Flatbed Champion crown for the second time in his career. A five-time Kentucky state champion who has accumulated more than 2.7 million accident-free miles during his career, Crowder, also a former captain for America’s Road Team, has been a professional driver for 30 years.
- Justin Kingsley, owner of Shayco Incorporated based at the FedEx Ground station in Tulsa, Okla., captured the National Champion title in the Step Van class in his first year of competing at the NTDC. A professional driver for five years, he has driven more than 300,000 accident-free miles.
Nine other FedEx drivers placed among the top finishers in their respective truck classes:
- Eric Courville, FedEx Freight (Lafayette, La.) – 2nd place, 3-Axle
- Tom Griffin, FedEx Freight (New Haven, Conn.) – 2nd place, 4-Axle
- Larry Rhein, FedEx Freight (Harrison, Ark.) – 2nd place, Flatbed
- Sal Vincelli, owner of Kelynn Inc. representing FedEx Ground (Allentown, Pa.) – 2nd place, Step Van
- Paul Brandon, FedEx Freight (New Haven, Conn.) – 3rd place, Flatbed
- Mike Forchetti, FedEx Express (Rockville, Md.) – 3rd place, Step Van
- Dan Jones, FedEx Freight (Topeka, Kan.) – 3rd place, Straight Truck
- Jason Matte, FedEx Freight (Jackson, Miss.) – 3rd place, Tank Truck
- Ivan Nikolic, owner of IN Trucking, Inc. representing FedEx Ground (Chicago, Ill.) – 3rd place, 5-Axle
In addition, two other FedEx state champions received awards:
- Don Logan, a driver for FedEx Freight based in Topeka, Kan., and the 2012 National Grand Champion, won the Vehicle Condition Award, which is presented to the competitor who best exemplifies his or her understanding of equipment and commitment to safety.
- Logan, along with fellow FedEx Freight driver Jeff Thompson (Kansas City, Kan.), also finished in a five-way tie for Best Written Exam with perfect scores.
“FedEx team members are among the finest in the industry, and I am excited by the performance of all of our state champions at the NTDC,” said Frederick W. Smith, chairman, president and CEO, FedEx Corp. “The achievements of our three national champions further reaffirms the fundamental commitment to safety and professionalism that’s at the heart of everything our team does.”
The ATA sponsors the annual championships, known as the “Super Bowl of Safety,” to recognize industry leadership in safety and to promote professionalism among truck drivers. One hundred and thirty professional drivers from 46 states from FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground, FedEx Express and FedEx SupplyChain qualified to compete at the NTDC by winning their respective state's competition and driving accident-free for at least one year. Each driver was required to demonstrate his or her driving skills and knowledge of the industry through a series of tests, including a written exam, vehicle pre-trip inspection and driving-skills challenge.
FedEx Corp. (FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $44 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Express
Heather Hunter, 870-715-6579