CORK, IRELAND--(Marketwired - Jun 5, 2013) - SolarWinds, a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today revealed the results from SolarWinds' Cloud Computing and BYOD Study, ("the study"), which looked into the adoption of today's key technology trends -- namely Cloud Computing and BYOD -- amongst SMEs.
The study, comprising 500 IT decision makers at SMEs across the UK and Germany, found that almost half of UK SMEs do not have a BYOD policy and of those that do permit it to some extent (a quarter), said it goes unmanaged by the IT department. When it comes to Cloud Computing, over a third of UK organisations do not plan to adopt a cloud solution of any kind.
This is the second in a series of survey results from SolarWinds that demonstrates while the benefits of such technology trends have been championed by larger enterprises, SMEs are still yet to embrace its far-reaching benefits, despite standing to gain the most from BYOD and the Cloud.
Key findings include:
- Over a third of UK-based SMEs have no plans in place to adopt a cloud policy
- 39 per cent of UK IT decision makers said that they do not trust cloud solutions -- citing ease of access as the main concern
- A following 33 per cent are unaware of the benefits that cloud computing can bring to their organisation and consider the cloud irrelevant to their business
- Almost half (47 per cent) of those in the UK said that they don't have a BYOD policy in place
- Of these businesses yet to adopt BYOD, 58 per cent said that it was not necessary for their business and 42 per cent consider it as a security risk
- The third most selected reason for not having yet adopted a BYOD policy was lack of access to the right tools for implementing and enforcing a suitable policy
"The benefits of Cloud Computing and BYOD have long been heralded for improving business flexibility, agility and results. In an era where SMEs are under more financial pressure than ever before and struggling to compete with global counterparts, these technologies offer the SME -- the backbone of the UK economy -- a scalable and cost-effective solution," said Sanjay Castelino, VP and Market Leader, SolarWinds. "Our mission at SolarWinds has always been to equip businesses of all sizes, with the right tools to get the job done and help them work as effectively and efficiently as possible."
SolarWinds IT Management Solutions
SolarWinds offers IT professionals a number of powerful and easy-to-use products, including network monitoring and server monitoring software to help customers of all sizes manage their IT environment. The SolarWinds network monitoring suite includes User Device Tracker and IP Address Manager -- products that specifically help IT professionals solve their BYOD problems.
SolarWinds, SolarWinds.com and thwack are registered trademarks of SolarWinds. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification purposes and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Information Technology
- Technology & Electronics
- Cloud Computing