On Saturday, May 17, 2014, the Union League will host a Career Skills Seminar for Veterans and their spouses to better assist them with job search. With so many servicemen and women transitioning from the military to the civilian workforce the Career Skills Seminar for Veterans is planned to help address the many roadblocks to a successful career search.
The Seminar will take place at the Union League Philadelphia from 9:00am – 3:00pm. Workshops will be conducted during the day-long seminar that will help our Veterans better transition into the workforce and improve the needed skills in their job search. Some of the workshops taking place are:
- The Resume Review & Workshop
- Interviewing Skills Training, Phone Skills Training and Dressing for Success Do’s & Don’ts
- Personal Branding & the Elevator Speech
- Translating Military Experience to the Civilian Sector
- LinkedIn & Career Builder: How to Use It?
- Personal Social Media Review: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Mock Interview Stations
In recognition of Armed Forces Day, the Career Skills Seminar is being presented for the first time to 125 veterans and their spouses free of charge. Several distinguished personalities will be in attendance to assist and speak during the event including:
- Keynote Speaker, Lieutenant General Benjamin Freakley (USA, Ret.), former Commanding General of the 10th Mountain Division in Afghanistan, and Commanding General of the United States Army Accessions Command.
- Welcome & Opening Speaker, Lieutenant Colonel Chad Storlie (USA, Ret.), author of several books on the topic of military to civilian transitioning, to include Combat Leader to Corporate Leader: 20 Lessons to Advance Your Civilian Career, and Battlefield to Business Success: Applying Military Leadership and Skills in Your Career.
- Featured Lunch Speaker, Patrick Murphy, an Iraqi Freedom veteran, two-term Congressman and anchor of the only network news program dedicated to veteran affairs, MSNBC’s Taking the Hill
“The Union League has a proud tradition of helping our nation’s veterans and their families. Through this Career Skills Seminar, we can think of no better way to celebrate Armed Forces Day,” said Rear Admiral Tom Lynch (USN, Ret.), President of The Union League. “Providing real skills, from searching for a job, to translating their military experience and skills, and getting hired, is perhaps the best way to make a real difference for veterans.”
Joining will also be, Mary L. Hagy, Life Member and former Vice President of the Union League. Ms. Hagy is a U.S. Army veteran with service in Operation Desert Storm. She is also the Founder of OurVetSuccess, dedicated to increasing public awareness of successful veterans and the businesses that employ them. OurVetSuccess is one of the principal sponsors of The Career Skills Seminar.
“This is the first event of its kind at the Union League,” Hagy said. ”This seminar will match veterans with successful business leaders and hiring experts to provide a rich, one-to-one mentoring experience. OurVetSuccess, is honored to be a team member on this important program.”
Leading in the seminar’s organizational efforts is Colonel John Fenzel (U.S. Army, Ret.), a 30 year Army Special Forces officer, and CEO of one of the principal event sponsors, Chrysalis Careers, LLC.
“This is a great team effort, and we are proud to be a part of this event that will actively assist our nation’s heroes and their families,” said Fenzel. “Assisting them in their transition from military service to civilian careers is a crucial stepping stone that is frequently missed by both military and civilian assistance programs. It’s a responsibility we all share.”
Many other high ranking business leaders will be in attendance to assist such as: Joseph Murin, Former President of the Government National Mortgage Association (Ginnie Mae); along with Veteran leaders at Philadelphia based universities from Temple University and Drexel University.
Registration for the Career Skills Seminar for Veterans is free for veterans and their spouses, made possible through a financial contribution from the Liberty USO. Space will be limited to 125 veterans, pre-registration is suggested, walk-ins are welcome.
The link for the event and registration is: http://goo.gl/KlCZpP
About Chrysalis Careers
Chrysalis Careers is a single source for leadership and talent staffing. The company focuses on helping the people find career opportunities, and companies to find the best talent available. In addition, the company focuses on helping recent college graduates to achieve their career goals. The company’s recruiters are highly trained, and have the most advanced search tools and systems available on the market today.
Chrysalis Careers, LLC is a key holding of Chrysalis Holdings, LLC, a premiere private investment company focused on the financial services industry. For more information about Chrysalis Careers, visit: www.chrysaliscareers.com
- Employment & Career
- Union League
- Career Builder
Phone: 877-581-5220 | mobile: 703-209-1308