REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwired - Apr 7, 2014) - Oracle (
Valdosta State University used Oracle Endeca Information Discovery and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition to identify key student retention, progression and graduation metrics, helping the university provide targeted opportunities to students to support their success.
- Valdosta State University, a regional university in South Georgia serving approximately 11,500 undergraduate students, implemented Oracle Endeca Information Discovery and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition to combine and analyze structured and unstructured student data to boost retention and support student success.
- Valdosta State University first implemented Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition to address its 67 percent one-year student retention rate, which cost the university $6.5 million in lost revenue each year. Just one year after the implementation, the university has seen a 10 to15 percent improvement in student midterm and final grades and a two and a half percent gain in retention rates.
- Valdosta State University built on this success by deploying Oracle Endeca Information Discovery to collect and analyze student data from multiple sources -- like student surveys and ID card usage -- to more quickly and effectively identify at risk students, engage appropriate faculty and staff and develop targeted programs to improve student retention.
- The integration of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle Endeca combines structured information from the data warehouse with unstructured data from other systems in minutes -- helping the university identify data trends to determine if specific metrics play a role in student success.
- For example, Oracle Endeca Information Discovery's capability to draw previously unknown correlations enabled the university to determine that students who eat breakfast on campus have a 10 percent higher retention rate. With this information in hand, the university can promote on-campus eateries and other student services to specific student segments.
- Valdosta State University also discovered that freshmen who work on campus have an 85 percent retention rate compared to the general freshman population, which has a 55 percent retention rate. Armed with this information, the university made a $200,000 investment in student jobs on campus, which will likely save $2 million in retention costs over the course of four years.
- The university's attribute-driven student portal leverages the data warehouse and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition to target specific ads -- notifications, events and student services -- to students based on success and demographic metrics.
- Valdosta State University began implementing the multi-phase project in April 2012, and released phase one -- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition -- to faculty and staff campus wide in August 2012. In the fall of 2012, Valdosta State University conducted a pilot program with Oracle Endeca Information Discovery. The university continues to develop new case studies using Oracle Endeca, including leveraging an online student assessment tool and tracking faculty with specific interests or skills.
- "Oracle provided the breadth and depth of functionality we needed to enable us to accomplish a great deal in only a few years. The speed and power of Oracle Endeca, combined with the robust capabilities of Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, enable us to quickly determine if specific metrics play a role in student success -- and make decisions and investments accordingly for maximum impact," said Brian Haugabrook, chief information officer, Valdosta State University.
- "With Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Oracle Endeca Information Discovery, Valdosta State University has better insight into student data, helping the university to identify at risk students, promote student success and improve overall student retention rates," said Cole Clark, global vice president, education and research industries, Oracle.
- Oracle in Higher Education
- Valdosta State University Improves Student Success and Retention with Oracle's Robust Business Intelligence Environment
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Oracle Higher Education on Facebook
- Oracle Higher Education on Twitter
- Oracle Higher Education on LinkedIn
- Oracle Higher Education on YouTube
- Oracle Higher Education on Diigo
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (
About Oracle in Industries
Oracle industry solutions leverage the company's best-in-class portfolio of products to address complex business processes relevant to the education and research industry, helping speed time to market, reduce costs, and gain a competitive edge.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
- Personal Finance - Career & Education
- Valdosta State University