Ah, Valentine's Day: Time for flowers, candy, teddy bears and other not-so-practical gifts.
If you're about to drop some cash on one of these, why not do it in a way that gives you something worthwhile -- credit card rewards points -- in return?
Issuers typically offer big points bonuses if you buy through their online shopping portals. And Valentine's Day gifts always deliver big returns. In some cases, you can get more than 10 times the typical number of points if you use the portal. That means you could spend $100 and get $1,000 worth of points that could be redeemed for cash, frequent flier miles, gift cards and other benefits.
Interested? Here's what credit cards are offering ahead of Valentine's Day.
Some of the best rewards deals for Valentine's Day are on flowers. Here are some of the deals you'll find if you're looking for anything from long-stemmed red roses to exotic orchids and cheery daisies.
- FTD: Earn 10 points per dollar if you shop through Citi's online ThankYou Bonus Center and use one of its rewards cards.
- 1-800-Flowers: Collect nine points per dollar spent if you buy with a Citi rewards card on the issuer's rewards site. Get 12 points per dollar with Chase rewards cards through its Ultimate Rewards portal. Or earn 20 percent in cash back by using Discover from its shopping portal, ShopDiscover.
ProFlowers: Accrue 10 points per dollar with Citi's rewards site and its participating cards.
Chase is also giving 12 percent in cash back to cardholders who buy any flowers online, provided they use its shopping portal as a jumping-off point and pay with their Chase Freedom card.
Sweets for your sweet? Here are a few accelerated points and cash-back deals issuers are offering for the holiday.
- Shari's Berries: Use Citi's rewards portal and one of its rewards cards to earn 10 points per dollar.
- Godiva: Collect four points per dollar or 4 percent cash back using Chase's shopping portal and one of its participating cards. Earn 15 percent in cash back from Discover with its card and portal. Or pick up three points per dollar through Citi's portal with one of its rewards cards.
Want to give your beloved something sparkly? On Valentine's Day, you'll find deals on jewelry that go well beyond the 1 percent cash back or one point per dollar. Here are a few.
- Red Envelope: Earn eight points per dollar or 8 percent cash back with Chase's rewards portal, plus one of its rewards cards.
- Blue Nile: Earn six points per dollar or 6 percent in cash back through the Chase rewards portal with one of its rewards cards.
- Jewelry.com: Accrue 15 percent in cash back using Discover and its portal.
- Zales.com: Get 10 percent in cash back if you make a purchase with a Discover card through its shopping portal.
Gift baskets and other goodies
Looking to get away from candy and flowers? Some companies offer light bites for a romantic evening at home, healthy snacks and other treats, along with a few extra rewards courtesy of your favorite card.
- Harry & David: Use Citi's rewards center, plus one of its rewards cards, and collect six points per dollar.
- 1-800-Baskets: Use Discover and its rewards portal to earn 20 percent in cash back.
Home and spa
Looking for a cozy night at home? Here are a few offerings to make it complete, and give you a few extra card rewards in the process.
- Best Buy: Collect three points per dollar though Citi's rewards portal with one of its rewards cards.
- Bliss (BlissWorld.com): Earn 20 percent in cash back by using Discover and its shopping portal.
- Nordstrom.com: Get 10 percent in cash back by making a purchase with a Discover card through its shopping portal.
More From Bankrate.com