NEW YORK, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Dedicated to providing the highest-quality video platform, Vimeo today announced the debut of its fastest player yet. Rebuilt from the ground up, Vimeo's new player offers the most elegant viewing experience across any device by automatically defaulting to HTML5. Vimeo also continues to empower creators by adding in-player transaction support for Vimeo On Demand that allows any Vimeo PRO member to sell their work their way, on their own sites or across the web.
"Vimeo takes great pride knowing that creators worldwide use our platform to ensure their content is showcased in the highest-quality possible," said Vimeo's Chief Technology Officer, Andrew Pile. "Tremendous work went into developing the latest version of our player and we're excited to take a leading role in support of open web standards by defaulting to HTML5."
"Since launching the Vimeo On Demand platform last year, we've continued to add new features that empower filmmakers to sell directly to their audiences on their own terms," said Vimeo CEO, Kerry Trainor. "The addition of in-player transaction support allows creators even further control by making any embedded Vimeo player a point of sale, be it on a creator's own website or any page across the web."
Full list of key features include:
- Faster playback: The new player is much faster with 50% reduced load and click to playtimes.
- Smarter and more responsive: The player now defaults viewers to HTML5 to provide the most elegant viewing experience possible on desktop, mobile, and tablet. It also employs responsive web design to provide dynamic loading of design elements and further assure the optimal viewing of Vimeo videos.
- In-player transaction support: Viewers who encounter Vimeo On Demand content embedded off Vimeo.com can make purchases directly from the video player.
- Wider accessibility: Vimeo increased viewer accessibility with screen reader and voiceover compatibility. Plus, creators can now add closed captioning and translated subtitles to their videos, supporting viewership around the world.
- Better sharing: The new player offers better sharing with improved tools that allow users to email, embed and post to social networks in one place.
For more information regarding the new Vimeo player, please visit vimeo.com/player.
Vimeo® is the high-quality video platform for creators and their audiences. Vimeo's mission is to empower and inspire people around the world to create, share and discover videos. Vimeo has over 22M registered members and reaches a global monthly audience of more than 135M. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, LLC is an operating business of IAC (IACI).