Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) and sports car manufacturer Porsche Automobil Holding SE have announced their plans to set up the integrated automotive group through the integration of Porsche’s automotive business, Porsche AG, into the Volkswagen Group. The integration would be complete by the onset of August. The plan has been cleared by the relevant governing bodies of both the companies.
According to the agreement signed in 2009, Volkswagen which already owns 49.9% of Porsche AG will purchase the remaining 50.1% stake in the entity. Volkswagen has made an offer of €4.46 billion ($5.61 billion) along with one Volkswagen ordinary share to the holding company Porsche SE, for the take over. The cash transaction is based on the equity value of €3.88 billion. The integration will strengthen both the companies financially.
The integration will add to the existing brands sold by Volkswagen including Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Bentley along with truck makers MAN and Scania. In addition, realization of joint projects will lead to growth opportunities for the company.
Porsche SE will receive dividends for its indirect stake in Porsche AG. It will also book half of the present value of the expected synergies from the integration, which has been pegged at around €320 million.
The acquisition of Porsche AG will not only result in a saving of €700 million ($880 million) along with tax benefits but will also have favorable effects on its Volkswagen’s earnings. However, charges will offset the operating profits in the current year.
Headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany, Volkswagen is the one of the leading automotive manufacturers in the world. The company is engaged in developing vehicles and engines, production and sale of passenger cars, commercial vehicles, trucks, and buses. Volkswagen also offers an array of low-consumption small cars to luxury class vehicles, along with commercial vehicles ranging from pick-ups to buses and heavy trucks.
Volkswagen has alliances with Daimler AG (DDAIF) and Chrysler Group. Currently, it retains a Zacks #3 Rank, which translates into a short-term (1 to 3 months) “Hold” rating.
More From Zacks.com