And that's just a fraction of the portfolio of elite Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. As of last month's announcement of a new $1.5 billion fund, they have raised a total $2.7 billion to continue making bets.
How do they not only find amazing companies, but also understand what will resonate with users, long before the users themselves know?
Find out at IGNITION West, Business Insider's conference on the future of mobile technology, taking place March 21 in San Francisco. Tickets are still available, as is the startup discount (although the startup booth special is selling out). Ben Horowitz, the VC firm's co-founder and a serial entrepreneur, will speak in an opening keynote interview with BI's Editor and CEO Henry Blodget.
IGNITION West will bring together executives to discuss consumer behavior and business models, including:
- Paul Cousineau, VP Mobile Products, Walmart
- Bart Decrem, SVP & GM, Disney Mobile
- David Ko, Chief Mobile Officer, Zynga
- Kevin Systrom, CEO, Instagram
- David Temkin, SVP Mobile, AOL
- Peter Vesterbacka, Chief Marketing Officer (Mighty Eagle), Rovio
- And many more! See the speaker page for the full roster.
Meanwhile, if you want to know why $2.7 billion is necessary to back emerging technology companies, particularly when costs of technology itself -- from hosting to hardware -- keep dropping, read Horowitz's explanation. In a nut shell: the firm is taking a resource-intense approach to helping startups get the professional contacts and skills they need. And that ain't cheap.
But just look at the results. You get companies like Instagram, the company that makes photos gorgeous on the iPhone -- like this one from Justin Bieber -- which jumped to 15 million downloads in 2011. It's a delight to use and to experience with friends, taking full advantage of the mobile platform and the iOs.
Instagram chief Systrom will tell us more about building a mobile-native social app at IGNITION West. Will you join us there? See you in March!
More From Business Insider
- Will The iPad 3 Beat Other Tablets?
- This $20B Company CEO Will Tell Us The Future Of Mobile
- How To Meet The Silicon Valley 100