You may dream of saying goodbye to your boss, going on endless vacations and not caring one whit about money – but most American workers wouldn’t quit their jobs even if they could.
A CareerBuilder survey finds that 51 percent of workers would still work after winning the lottery, while 30 percent of them said they would stay in the same job they have now.
So Americans aren’t solely focused on their paycheck after all when they go into the office every morning or log on from home – there are other reasons they work.
Here are five reasons Americans say they won’t quit their jobs:
- They wouldn’t know what to do. Seventy-seven percent of CareerBuilder respondents said they’d be bored if they didn’t work.
- Their life would have no meaning. Seventy-six percent said their work gives them a sense of purpose and accomplishment that they’d lose if they quit their job.
- They want financial security. Forty-two percent said that financial security (aside from financial winnings) is important to them. A separate survey done a year ago by Gallup found that 68 percent of Americans would continue to work if they won $10 million in the lottery and noted that more people felt that way than before the recession.
- They would miss their co-workers. Twenty-three percent of those surveyed said they’d miss their colleagues if they quit their job. People who have a best friend at work are typically more engaged in their work, according to a 2013 Gallup report, “State of the American Workplace.” Having a best friend at work also contributes to wellbeing.
- They would lose health insurance. Another recent survey by Securian found that 40 percent of workers stay at their job because they fear they might not be able to buy health insurance on the open market at a rate comparable to the out-of-pocket costs and coverage they currently have at their job.
Top Reads from The Fiscal Times:
- 13 Gadgets the 1 Percent Should Take to College
- Hula Hoop Is New Exercise Fad
- Sneaky Ways Food Companies Make You Eat Price Increases
- Employment & Career
- Personal Finance - Career & Education