- Asia and Europe react to softer US yields at close on Friday, send Dollar lower.
- Commodity currencies lead rebound in typical QE-driven rally.
- Light economic calendar to start week puts focus on technicals.
To receive this report in your inbox every morning, sign up for Christopher’s distribution list.
INTRADAY PERFORMANCE UPDATE: 10:45 GMT
Dow Jones FXCM Dollar Index (Ticker: USDOLLAR): -0.19% (-0.61% prior 5-days)
ASIA/EUROPE FOREX NEWS WRAP
The US Dollar continues to edge lower in the days after Federal Reserve Chairwoman nominee Janet Yellen’s Senate testimony on Thursday, as the soon-to-be most powerful woman in the world made clear her intentions to keep monetary policy as loose as possible in the near-term.
In an environment quickly morphing back to one indicative of market participants reducing their expectations for a QE3 taper – the US yield curve has flattened, particularly in the 3Y-10Y maturity range, which steepened the most during the height of QE3 taper speculation from late-May to early-September – the US Dollar not only stands to suffer, but ‘risk’ in general is happily picking up the pieces.
While the commodity currencies, led by the New Zealand Dollar, have posted impressive gains the past several days, with the NZDUSD up over +2.50% from last week’s low set on Tuesday, perhaps more interesting right now is the battle being waged in the EURUSD. While the EURUSD had only gained +0.10% at the time of writing, it was in the midst of an important battle around $1.3500:
EURUSDH1 Chart: November 5 to Present
- The EURUSD is comfortably above former key support, 1.3440.
- Former resistance, turned support, now resistance has broken, the TL off of the June and August highs.
- While these signs point to a more bullish EURUSD, until the ascending TL from the July and September lows is reclaimed (blue line on chart above).
- Bullish outlook crystalizes in short-term on daily close above 1.3550 (pre-ECB swing highs).
- Retail trader sentiment points to a break higher in EURUSD over the coming days.
ECONOMIC CALENDAR – UPCOMING NORTH AMERICAN SESSION
See the DailyFX Economic Calendar for a full list, timetable, and consensus forecasts for upcoming economic indicators. Want the forecasts to appear right on your charts? Download the DailyFX News App.
--- Written by Christopher Vecchio, Currency Analyst
To contact Christopher Vecchio, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him on Twitter at @CVecchioFX
To be added to Christopher’s e-mail distribution list, please fill out this form