For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – June 4, 2012 – Zacks.com releases the list of companies likely to issue earnings surprises. This week’s list includes Dollar General (DG), JA Solar (JASO), LDK Solar (LDK), Brown Forman (BF.B) and Pall Corp (PLL).
To see more earnings analysis, visit http://at.zacks.com/?id=3207.
Every day, Zacks.com makes 4 stock picks available, free of charge. To see them, go to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3567.
Market, Econ Data Take a Breather
There is not much on the docket with respect to earnings and economic reports this week. The next earnings season will not get fully underway till the second half of July, though we still have a handful of companies reporting the first quarter results.
The tone of the economic debate has shifted following the disappointing May jobs report, with questions about sustainability of the growth momentum -- howsoever moderate it was to begin with -- taking center stage. Risk aversion is in full control of the markets, which is pushing yields on the U.S. Treasuries and U.S. Bonds to new record lows.
But we will not get much fresh data on the state of the economy this week. Aside from the monthly service-sector ISM report on Tuesday and the weekly Jobless Claims report on Thursday, we don’t have much in terms of top-tier economic data on tap.
Headlines about Europe will effectively guarantee that this otherwise quiet-looking period will be anything but. We are about two weeks away from the Greek parliamentary vote, which is expected to determine the country’s future in the Euro-zone. Spain’s struggles with its banking sector and the yields on the Italian and Spanish government bonds will be in the spotlight.
We haven’t closed the books on the first quarter 2012 reporting season, as we still have a number of companies (with fiscal quarters ending in April) to report results. As of Friday (06/1), a total of 492 companies in the S&P 500 have already reported results. We will get results from 68 companies this week, including 3 from the S&P 500.
Monday - 6/4
- We will get the April Factory Orders report after the markets open, with expectations for a 0.2% increase after the 1.5% drop in March. The factory sector appears to be good health, though the May manufacturing ISM reading showed a modest loss of momentum. The new orders component of the ISM index was up in both in the May as well as April readings.
- The only notable earnings report is from Dollar General (DG) after the close.
Tuesday - 6/5
- We will get the May Non-Manufacturing (or Service sector) ISM report after the markets open, with expectations for a modest increase from April’s 53.5 level. In addition to the index’s headline level, it will be interesting to see what its employment component shows given the disappointing May jobs report.
- We will get results from JA Solar (JASO) and LDK Solar (LDK), with the former reporting before the market opens and the latter after the market closes.
Wednesday - 6/6
- We will get the first quarter Productivity numbers in the morning, with expectations for a 0.9% decline. We will get the Fed’s Beige Book that afternoon.
- We will get results from Brown Forman (BF.B) in the morning and Pall Corp (PLL) after the market closes.
Sheraz Mian is the Director of Research for Zacks.com.
About the Zacks Rank
Since 1988, the Zacks Rank has proven that "Earnings estimate revisions are the most powerful force impacting stock prices." Since inception in 1988, #1 Rank Stocks have generated an average annual return of +28%. During the 2000-2002 bear market, Zacks #1 Rank stocks gained +43.8%, while the S&P 500 tumbled -37.6%. Also note that the Zacks Rank system has just as many Strong Sell recommendations (Rank #5) as Strong Buy recommendations (Rank #1). Since 1988, Zacks Rank #5 stocks have significantly underperformed the S&P 500 (+3% versus +10%). Thus, the Zacks Rank system allows investors to truly manage portfolio trading effectively.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter offers continuous coverage of the industries and the stocks poised to outperform the market. Subscribe to this free newsletter today by visiting http://at.zacks.com/?id=4988.
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978 by Len Zacks. As a PhD from MIT Len knew he could find patterns in stock market data that would lead to superior investment results. Amongst his many accomplishments was the formation of his proprietary stock picking system; the Zacks Rank, which continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros by going to http://at.zacks.com/?id=3568.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ZacksInvestmentResearch
Zacks Investment Research is under common control with affiliated entities (including a broker-dealer and an investment adviser), which may engage in transactions involving the foregoing securities for the clients of such affiliates.
Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investors should always research companies and securities before making any investments. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security.
Contact: Sheraz Mian
More From Zacks.com
- Investment & Company Information
- Brown Forman