Puts were much more active than calls on Friday, as options traders became much more interested in hedging after Thursday’s 2% decline. The CBOE composite put/call ratio closed at its highest level since October:
Here were the most active names in the options market.
1. SPY - Options volumes were around 2x the average 1 month daily volume. August puts dominated the volume, with the Aug19th 190 puts the most active line. 30 day implied volatility moved up to 14.5, its highest level since mid-April. Outside of August expiration, there was another far out-of-the-money put buyer, with someone paying 0.51 for 50k of the Dec 145 put. SPY last traded below 145 in January 2013.
2. IWM - IWM touched the 110 level intraday for the first time since mid-May. The $107 level is the next major support that has held throughout 2014. August options were once again very active, similar to SPY. Besides that activity, the Sept20th 110 puts traded over 40k on the session at an average price of $3.04.
3. BAC - Looks like a trader rolled the Aug16th 17 puts out to the Oct 17 puts 120k times, paying 0.075 for the privilege. BAC last traded above $17 in early April. After the stock’s weakness last week, it is down 3.8% year-to-date.
4. AAPL - Stock outperformed the market in a weak tape last week. The Sept20th 105 calls were the most active line (all-time high is $100.72), with a buyer of about 10k for 0.66 in the morning. We discussed AAPL in Friday’s CotD post.
5. GPOR - Options rarely trade in Gulfport energy, but there was a large 2 way trade in the afternoon on Friday. The Aug 50 puts traded 15k for 1.10, and the Oct 55 calls traded 12,500 at 3.30. The stock closed at its lowest level since August 2013, and the company reports earnings after the close on Wednesday.
Recommended for You
For nearly three years, iPad sales have been falling on a quarterly basis, a disappointing run...Business Insider
If you're strategic about moves you make with your Roth IRA, you can accumulate even more in it -- and can set yourself up for tax-free withdrawals in retirement.USA TODAY
Charles R. Schwab opened the doors of his San Francisco-based brokerage company, Charles Schwab...Business Insider51 mins ago
CNBC's Michelle Caruso-Cabrera reports from Iran about the country's push to diversify its economy away oil and towards tourism and exports.CNBC Videos
While auto sales are at all time highs, certain models are in higher demand than others.USA TODAY
You already know the dangers of carrying too large a wallet (and of keeping it in your back...Business Insider
Warren Buffett is not a fan of Valeant Pharmaceuticals. And he never was. At Berkshire...Business Insider
The widespread confusion about how and when to draw down retirement savings is a problem.USA TODAY
Halliburton Co. and Baker Hughes Inc. have until the end of Saturday to obtain antitrust approval from regulators or either side can walk away from a deal matching the world’s No. 2 and No. 3 oil service ...Bloomberg
Jeff Smisek walked away with $36.8 million in severance and benefits from United Airlines after he was ousted as chief executive officer last year.Bloomberg
Concern over future U.N. aircraft emissions standards was a factor in a Delta Air Lines Inc deal announced this week to buy 75 new CS100 jets from Bombardier Inc, a Delta executive said on Friday. Delta's decision was in part because the planes will comply with standards that the United Nations…Reuters
Is this the top? In a note to clients on Friday, UBS strategist Julian Emanuel suggests that a...Business Insider
Exxon Mobil reported quarterly earnings and revenue that beat analysts' expectations on Friday.CNBC.com
Curious who had the best week? It was Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey Katzenberg. The cofounders of...Business Insider
How filing a restricted application would work for one couple.USA Today
Things can’t stay like this forever. Here's what you need to know about the near-certainty of the oil market rebound. This podcast was recorded on Mar. 31, 2016.The Motley Fool Videos
- Prevention PulseSponsored
Do you eat any of these cancer causing foods? Number 12 will surprise you. Check out the list now.
These four elite dividend growers perfectly match retirees' investment needs. All retirees should consider these stocks for their portfolios.The Street
Cramer says buy American Tower but wait on Hain Celestial.TheStreet.com
Homebuilder Lennar reported higher than expected earnings, and has an unlikely demographic to thank. This podcast was recorded on Apr. 1, 2016.The Motley Fool Videos