Light volumes in options and the broader stock market after two active days to end last week.
1. XLF - Calls very active as there was a seller of over 30k of the Jan15 20 calls at an average price of 2.50 in the afternoon, and some of that premium was likely used to buy over 60k of the Jan15 23 calls for an average price of 0.60. XLF’s high of the year is $23.07, while the $21.86 level is both the spot of the rising 200 day moving average and the unchanged mark for 2014 for XLF.
2. ABC - Bizarre trade in AmerisourceBergen, the pharmaceutical services company. The Aug16th 75 calls (expiring in 9 trading days) traded 40k at 2.325 in the morning, looks like they were bought to open, possibly delta neutral (a 1.65 million share print went up after the close), though not clear. ABC options rarely trade at all, much less 40k at a clip, and moreover, that was for a very short-dated option with no clear catalyst. ABC hit a new all-time high last week after a strong earnings report, and is up 10% year-to-date.
3. XOM - XOM hit a new all-time high last Tuesday before falling to a 3 month low on Thursday on a poorly received earnings report and the overall market’s weakness. The stock is now down 1% after the sharp fall. There was a buyer of 15k of the Sept 105 calls for 0.40 to open in the afternoon. XOM’s high last week was $104.76.
4. SM - Trader rolled down protection, selling 10k of the Aug16th 80 puts at 2.50 to buy 15k of the Sept 75 puts for 2.10. SM has not traded below $75 since early June. The stock is down 3% year-to-date, despite the broad outperformance of the energy sector.
5. ABX - Three way trade in October expiration – the Oct 18 puts trade 10k at 0.98, the Oct 18 calls trade 12,500 for 0.97, and the Oct 19 calls trade 20k for 0.5775, all around 1:42 pm EDT. ABX is up 2% year-to-date, and has traded in the $15 to $21.50 range for the past year.
Recommended for You
US private equity group Blackstone is "giving up on Russia", highlighting how even well-connected western investors are shying away from doing business in the country. The New York-based buyout group has been frustrated in its attempts to find deals in the country since its co-founder Stephen…Financial Times
AP Mark Cuban is the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. Billionaire investor and entrepreneur Mark Cuban is generous with his advice. When we asked him what he wishes he'd known about money in his 20s, he said:Business Insider
Ballard Power Systems Inc. (BLDP) has been around forever as a fuel cell play. DryShips Inc. (DRYS) was started as Buy with a $5 price target at Deutsche Bank in a late-Monday call. The Deutsche Bank research on the sector was very positive, with 2015 expected to be a solid year for growth across…24/7 Wall St.
A significant benefit of the Affordable Care Act is the opportunity to receive money-saving tax credits up front to cut the overall cost of health insurance, but now hundreds of thousands of consumers could owe back some of that money next April.Those affected took advance payments of the premium…USA TODAY
An Oklahoma City-based energy company has unveiled a new formation in south-central Oklahoma that the company's CEO said will elevate the state as an oil producer. Continental Resources Inc. said western Oklahoma's Springer Shale deposit is in the heart of the South Central Oklahoma Oil Province,…Associated Press
Jeb Bush entered the Florida governor's mansion in 1999 with a net worth of $2 million, a relatively modest fortune compared with others in the Bush family. Within months of leaving office, he started a consulting firm, registered as a broker for Lehman Brothers and joined a number of corporate…Associated Press
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA (MC) ’s private-equity arm, which bought a rooftop bar and dim sum restaurant chain in Singapore this year, is seeking more investments in the region to gain from rising consumer spending. L Capital Asia sees opportunities in Singapore’s food and beverage,…Bloomberg
Skimpy interest rates, pent-up demand and lower prices have sparked gains of about 20% in the median price of new and existing homes over the past two years. Select REIT Index—which covers a number of investment vehicles—has climbed about 150% since the beginning of 2009, roughly matching the…The Wall Street Journal
African nations tapping demand from bond investors lured by high yields may find refinancing of their Eurobonds costly, the World Bank ’s chief economist for the continent said. Countries in Africa sold a record $6.25 billion of dollar-denominated debt in 2013. This may be followed by $6 billion…Bloomberg
Investors have been putting money back into bond funds as interest rates have unexpectedly dropped this year.Morningstar
Warren Buffett didn't become one of the greatest investors of our generation by investing in gold. Just take a look at part of a speech Buffett gave at Harvard in 1998 when he said of gold:"(It) gets dug out of the ground in Africa or someplace. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their…USA TODAY
Konkola Copper Mines Plc said Zambia’s Copperbelt Energy Corp Plc is restricting its power supply amid a dispute regarding tariff increases. “The restriction in power supply will adversely affect Konkola Copper Mines’ operations and compromise safety of the employees and job security,” Shapi…Bloomberg
CITIZENS FINANCIAL GROUP TO HOLD I.P.O. IN NEW YORK Citizens Financial Group, a retail bank with 1,230 branches and $130 billion worth of assets, is scheduled to price its initial public offering this week. The firm is being spun off from the RoyalThe New York Times
There's a Sonata® that's perfect for you, and this is your chance to build it! Visit the Hyundai® Official Site to customize your 2015 Sonata® today!AdChoicesHyundaiSponsored
One way a mortgage lender verifies a borrower’s identity is by their Social Security Number. If your Social Security number was not issued at birth, and you’re applying for a mortgage, you may need extra documentation to back it up. Why Social Security Numbers Are a Hot-Button IssueCredit.com
The head of Germany's powerful Bundesbank sharply criticised what he called a radical new approach by the European Central Bank of easy money, in an interview published Sunday. The central bank chief, Jens Weidmann, told Der Spiegel news weekly that the bank's recent moves of setting interest rates…AFP
Japanese index futures fell with contracts on U.S. equities, while New Zealand ’s stocks and currency climbed after the government was returned in an election. Copper futures dropped with Brent crude oil. Nikkei 225 Stock Average futures slipped 0.1Bloomberg
Most of us are just in it to bulk up our savings for retirement, make a little extra money on the side, or even just beat inflation (more on that in a minute). ... but your retirement savings are. Retirement savings, on the other hand, are invested if you put them in a retirement fund like an IRA…Business Insider
Genworth Financial has traveled a rocky road since the insurer was offloaded by General Electric in 2004. At the same time, the long-term care insurance (LTC) business went so sour that big competitors like MetLife (MET) chose to pull out completely while Genworth (GNW) persevered. Barron's saw…Barrons.com
NEW YORK (AP) — The young-adult adaptation "The Maze Runner" raced to the top of the box-office with $32.5 million, giving a budding franchise a quick start out of the gate.The 20th Century Fox release easily outpaced the $13.1 million debut of Liam NeesonAssociated Press
Axa is to partner with the private investment arm of the World Bank in what is set to be the most wide-ranging public-private venture to encourage the uptake of insurance products in the developing world. The French insurance group, which competes globally with Allianz of Germany, is hoping to use…Financial Times