Yesterday was one of the lowest volume days of the year in the overall market. Second straight untilled gap up, and the S&P 500 index closed right at its 200 day moving average.
1. OXY - Trader paid 1.20 for 30,000 of the Jan15 110/120 call spreads to open when the stock was 100.56. The spread looks like it traded a total of 50k on the session, all around 1.20. OXY last traded above $110 in May 2011, and its all-time high is $117.885 from May 2011. The stock’s high for 2014 is $105.64, and the stock is up 5% year-to-date.
2. CSCO - Stock ended near a 2 month low after its earnings report, though volume was much lighter on earnings relative to most earnings releases over the past couple of years. The most active line was the Oct 26 calls, which traded over 55k at an average price of 0.205. CSCO’s high this year was $26.08 in late July.
3. SLV - Silver has remained depressed int he past couple of weeks even as precious metals miners and gold have seen some demand. Buyer of 49,800 of the Jan15 22/30 call spreads paying 0.26, looks like a trader rolling down a long call position from the 30 strike to the 22 strike.
4. ZMH - The Dec 105 calls traded 18,270 for 1.65 in the morning. That line initially traded around 20k in early June at a price above $6. ZMH made an all-time high of $108.33 shortly after earnings in late april.
5. JCP - JCP closed near the closely watched $10 resistance level, and that will be the spot to watch in the session today after last night’s earnings report (stock indicated around $10 at the moment). Most active lines yesterday were the Aug16th 8.5 puts and the Aug16th 10 calls, both of which traded over 20k. Volumes yesterday were more than 5x the 1 month average, and slightly skewed towards puts (123k puts traded vs. 110k calls).
Recommended for You
The bull market, which reached a record high a year ago, seems to have petered out, writes Mark Hulbert.MarketWatch
Your credit score can be a baffling thing. Your score goes up, and it goes down, and it's not always clear what is responsible for the movement.Kiplinger.com
Shares of General Electric (GE) are up Wednesday afternoon, despite a lawsuit filed by Alstom accusing the company of breach of contract.The Street
You can learn a lot from how rich people handle their money.MarketWatch
Retirees are less satisfied these days, but there are easy ways to change that.USA Today
Store closing sales are set to begin by May 27 and finish no later than Aug. 31USA Today
Qatar’s Energy minister Mohammed bin Saleh al-Sada has called for a $65 price floor for crudeOilprice.com
The largest US luxury homebuilder crushed earnings but acknowledged the big problem in the housing market
Toll Brothers, the largest luxury homebuilder in the US, reported strong earnings Tuesday but...Business Insider
More than two thousand gas stations are running dry across France, with drivers lining up for hours to fill their cars.CNBC Videos
- Advanced Direct SecuritySponsored
Monitor your home with ADT for only $9 per week including a free home security camera system (an $850 value). Get a free quote! ADT Authorized Dealer
The FBI is investigating Terry McAuliffe’s ties to the Clinton Foundation, and donations made by a prominent Chinese businessman to both the Virginia governor’s campaign and to the foundation. The Clinton Foundation has come under scrutiny for years, charged with being a vessel for Bill and Hillary…The Fiscal Times
HPE announces spin-off of enterprise services business, and merger, with CSC.USA Today
The Apple chief executive joked saying he thought he knew when and where the iPhone was invented.CNBC Videos
Realty Income Corporation (O) has closed the offering of 6.5 million common shares.Zacks
Where you buy Obamacare plans could significantly affect how much more you will pay for your coverage next year.CNBC.com
Investors love big dividends, but some companies lack the earnings to afford it. Here's how to know if a dividend could be masking cash problems.CNBC.com
Bullion has taken a beating from the prospect of an imminent rate increase, as indicated by Fed meeting minutes released last week. Gold is sensitive to interest rates, gains in which raise the opportunity cost of holding the non-interest-yielding asset. Spot gold was down 0.2 percent at $1,223.96…Reuters
The Pentagon says its total aviation inventory will shrink by roughly 10 percent over the next decade because it can’t afford to build and modernize enough planes to keep up with the pace of aircraft retirements, according to a new agency report. The "Annual Aviation Inventory and Funding Plan…The Fiscal Times
Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL) announced positive top-line data from the phase II trial, CABOSUN, on Cabometyx in patients suffering from previously untreated advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC).Zacks