Options volumes were dominated by the macro ETFs as the VIX touched 17 for the first time since mid-April. CBOE composite put/call ratio closed near 1, relatively tame compared to the large move in the indices.
1. VIX - VIX calls traded over 1 million on the session. Dan laid out the trade on Fast Money yesterday where the buyer paid 0.69 for 90k of the Nov 21 / 30 call spread. That was the largest trade of the session in the VIX. August calls were also very active, and 30 day implied volatility in the VIX moved to 103 on the back of all of the call buying, which is the highest level for VIX implied volatility since early February.
2. SPY - SPY closed below its 50 day moving average for the first time since mid-April. Puts were about 2.5x as active as calls, with the bulk of the volume focused on August expiration (both weekly and Aug16th). Outside of August, the biggest traded was a buyer of 90k of the Dec20th 155 puts for 0.64 in the morning. Those puts closed at 0.80 by the close.
3. XLE - XLE closed below its 50 day moving average for the first time since February. 78k of the Sept 98 puts traded at 2.80 and 78k of the Oct 95 puts traded for 2.20, looks like a trader rolling down a long put position from September to October. The $90-$92 area is the key to watch on the downside, as $91.42 was the prior all-time high from May 2008.
4. XLF - Put volumes have been heavy all week, and yesterday was no exception. Looks like a buyer of the Aug/Sept 21 put spread, selling Aug to close and buying Sept to open, paying .13 for 34k. XLF’s unchanged mark on the year is $21.86.
5. EEM - EEM was rejected at the crucial $45 resistance level this week (see last week’s CotD for the full story). The ETF touched its 50 day ma for the first time since March. Buyer of 50k of the Jan15 41/36 put spread for 1.10 midday. EEM is still up 5.7% year-to-date.
Recommended for You
NANCHANG, China (AP) — China's largest private property developer, the Wanda Group, opened an entertainment complex on Saturday that it's positioning as a distinctly homegrown rival to Disney and its $5.5 billion Shanghai theme park opening next month.Associated Press
Experts following the MH370 search say it is likely a new piece of debris found by a BBC reader in Mozambique came from the missing plane.BBC News
Singapore's prosecutors have declared the cross-border investigation the largest money-laundering probe the country has undertaken, the WSJ reports.CNBC.com
Microsoft is facing criticism from Chinese users about the way it is trying to persuade people to upgrade to Windows 10.BBC News
Investors are ignoring a key indicator that will send the S&P 500 10 percent higher, according to frequently bullish strategist Tom Lee.CNBC
You can learn a lot from how rich people handle their money.MarketWatch
WASHINGTON (AP) — When Donald Trump acquired a pair of Atlantic City casinos in the mid-1980s, he pitted his managers against each other in a ferocious competition over everything from booking entertainers to attracting high-rolling gamblers.Associated Press
Last weekend, the CEO of Fiat Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne, approached Mark Fields, CEO of Ford Motors, with a consolidation offer. In this segment, Chris Hill, Taylor Muckerman, and Jason Moser explain why Ford promptly declined, and why joining up with a company like Fiat is likely at the…The Motley Fool Videos
Here are seven speculative biotech and biohealth players in which analyst calls during the week ending May 27 have given major upside projections.247wallst.com
The going has been a bit tough for David Einhorn lately, and he has been doing some selling in turn.The Street
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Education Department has appointed a new lawyer to oversee the turnaround of schools once owned by Corinthian Colleges Inc., following an Associated Press review that found trouble at the schools and questioned the previous monitor's independence.Associated Press
A stock market timing system with a stellar 30-year track record has a clear view about investing now, writes Mark Hulbert.MarketWatch
June 2 meeting will act as a forum for continued altercations between Saudi Arabia, Iran.USA Today
The Securities and Exchange Commission is now allowing individuals to invest in companies via web-based crowdfunding portals, known as intermediaries, via the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act, or JOBS act. Historically only venture capitalists and accredited investors -- essentially the…U.S.News & World Report
Between the firm's many index funds and its actively managed portfolios, investors have plenty of good choices including the eight mutual funds highlighted here. Although they're not as cheap as the firm's index funds, their expense ratios are still remarkably low. This stalwart is a member of the…Kiplinger.com
Big tax bills in retirement can hinder your golden years, even if you were steady savers.USA Today
The world's first life-saving gene therapy for children, developed by GlaxoSmithKline and Italian scientists, was approved for sale in Europe on Friday, in a step forward for the pioneering technology to fix faulty genes. Called Strimvelis, it is designed for a tiny number of children with ADA…Reuters
General Motors has made it official: It is ending production of the Buick's compact sedan.USA Today
Everything you need to know about the tiny, ultra-cheap computer that has taken the world by storm.TechRepublic