Options volumes were dominated by the macro ETFs as the VIX touched 17 for the first time since mid-April. CBOE composite put/call ratio closed near 1, relatively tame compared to the large move in the indices.
1. VIX - VIX calls traded over 1 million on the session. Dan laid out the trade on Fast Money yesterday where the buyer paid 0.69 for 90k of the Nov 21 / 30 call spread. That was the largest trade of the session in the VIX. August calls were also very active, and 30 day implied volatility in the VIX moved to 103 on the back of all of the call buying, which is the highest level for VIX implied volatility since early February.
2. SPY - SPY closed below its 50 day moving average for the first time since mid-April. Puts were about 2.5x as active as calls, with the bulk of the volume focused on August expiration (both weekly and Aug16th). Outside of August, the biggest traded was a buyer of 90k of the Dec20th 155 puts for 0.64 in the morning. Those puts closed at 0.80 by the close.
3. XLE - XLE closed below its 50 day moving average for the first time since February. 78k of the Sept 98 puts traded at 2.80 and 78k of the Oct 95 puts traded for 2.20, looks like a trader rolling down a long put position from September to October. The $90-$92 area is the key to watch on the downside, as $91.42 was the prior all-time high from May 2008.
4. XLF - Put volumes have been heavy all week, and yesterday was no exception. Looks like a buyer of the Aug/Sept 21 put spread, selling Aug to close and buying Sept to open, paying .13 for 34k. XLF’s unchanged mark on the year is $21.86.
5. EEM - EEM was rejected at the crucial $45 resistance level this week (see last week’s CotD for the full story). The ETF touched its 50 day ma for the first time since March. Buyer of 50k of the Jan15 41/36 put spread for 1.10 midday. EEM is still up 5.7% year-to-date.
Recommended for You
US futures are trading in the red, signaling more volatility for the US stock markets when they...Business Insider
Nearly a third of the roughly 50 million elderly Americans who depend on Medicare for their physician care and other health services could see their premiums jump by 52 percent or more next year. While Congress is largely focused on addressing looming shortfalls in the Social Security Disability…The Fiscal Times
Warren Buffett amassed a big stake in one of 10 dividend stocks TheStreet listed as good opportunities during last week's wild trading week. Which one?TheStreet.com
Toshiba was just caught after cooking its books for the last six years, but plenty of other companies are doing the same exact thing.The Motley Fool Videos13 mins ago
Question: Eleven years ago, I bought the perfect town home. I read all governing documents, attended board meetings, talked to owners, then closed escrow. After I moved in, the board fined me for something ...Los Angeles Times
What do you need to know about those chips? Here are five questions with answers.USA TODAY
Auto sales and the ISM manufacturing index are among the data to be released Tuesday with the government's August jobs report at week's end.TheStreet.com
If you're thinking about buying a home, you may need less money than you think. Here's what you can do to buy a home using as little money down as possible.Credit.com
Tom Vucurevich, heir to a banking fortune, can't repay millions owed to creditors.USA TODAY
PGA golfer and 2016 U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III, who last week became the third-oldest tour winner with a victory at the Wyndham Championship, has listed his home in St. Simons Island, Ga., for ...Los Angeles Times
REUTERS - British peer-to-peer lender Zopa on Sunday appointed Jaidev Janardana as chief executive officer, taking over from Giles Andrews. Janardana, 36, joined the firm last year as chief operating officer ...Reuters
ROME (AP) — The Italian energy company Eni SpA announced Sunday it has discovered a "supergiant" natural gas field off Egypt, describing it as the "largest-ever" found in the Mediterranean Sea.Associated Press
California taxpayers have never paid more for public worker pensions, but it's still not enough to cover the rising number of retirement checks written by the state's largest pension plan.Los Angeles Times
NYCB has one of the most unique business models in the banking industry – and one of the most efficient.The Motley Fool Videos13 mins ago
European hops add touch of lemon in flavor and grassiness in aroma of the 4.9% ABV beer.USA TODAY
Oil halted its advance after the biggest two-day gain since 2009 as U.S. drilling activity sustained its increase. The number of active rigs in the U.S. rose for a sixth week to the most since May, data from from Baker Hughes Inc. show. Oil rebounded above $45 a barrel last week amid a rally in…Bloomberg
For investors worried about the health of emerging economies, India's gross domestic product data for April-June should supply some cheer on Monday - the country is expected to remain the fastest growing major economy for a second straight quarter. If the number is that high, it will be a boost for…Reuters58 mins ago
Start a new career in bill collections, and you may have job security with the potential growth that is expected in this industry.Investopedia
Oil prices fell in Asia on Monday as traders took profits, snapping three days of gains last week that saw the biggest two-day rally in six years. "There is definitely a lot of profit taking going on," said Daniel Ang, an analyst at Singapore's Phillip Futures.Reuters