Options volumes very light among single stocks, with traders increasingly focused on protection, evidenced by the elevated CBOE composite put/call ratio for the third straight session (closed at 1.19 yesterday).
1. SPY - While volumes in other macro instruments (such as VIX, QQQ, and IWM) were lower than the past week, SPY options volumes, particularly on the puts side, were above average once again. The Aug16th 190, 191, and 192 puts were the most active lines, all trading over 50k on the session. Outside of August, there was a buyer of over 40k of the Jan15 165 puts around the close for 2.10 to open. The 200 day moving average in SPY is now around $186.
2. XOP - Dan discussed the put activity in the oil and gas ETF in yesterday’s NTT post:
When the etf was $73.62, a trader sold to close 15,000 of the Aug 79 puts at 5.25 to close, and used the premium to buy 30,000 of the Sept 73 puts for 2.50 to open.
XOP is still up more than 7% year-to-date, outperforming the S&P 500, but the sector is more than 10% below its all-time high set in late June.
3. AIG - Buyer of 40k of the Jan15 60 calls for a 3.20 average over the course of the session. That is over $12 million in total premium. AIG’s high this year was $56, and the stock closed down yesterday after a decent earnings report. The 200 day moving average is around $51.35.
4. AA - Buyer of around 15k of the Jan15 16 puts for 1.15 average price in the afternoon. AA is still up 55% year-to-date even with the selling over the last week, and the stock is more than 30% above its 200 day moving average of $12.27.
5. NVDA - Buyer of 15k of the Sept 16 puts for 0.33 midday. NVDA reports earnings on Thursday after the close, and the stock is up 10% year-to-date. The stock has held its 200 day moving average (now around $17.35) over the past couple of weeks, and has not touched it since April 2013. The options market is implying about a 6.5% move for the event, much higher than both the 4 quarter average of 3.25% and the 8 quarter average of 3%.
Recommended for You
GoPro is breaking its lock-up restriction and...Business Insider
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — The married stars of the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" are due for a dose of unscripted reality.Associated Press
Corporate debt issuance plummets 83% in 2014.Business Insider
A New Jersey woman contacted the police after she lost hundreds of dollars in an elaborate car-selling ruse.Credit.com
Coke has trimmed back its executive compensation plans.Business Insider
Now that October has arrived, 24/7 Wall St. wanted to review some of the most aggressive recent analyst calls.24/7 Wall St.
DUBAI/KHOBAR (Reuters) - Saudi Aramco has sharply cut its November prices for Asian oil customers in the clearest sign yet the world's largest exporter is competing for market share. The oil giant slashed ...Reuters
October could have a long list of market demons to contend with-from the shift in U.S. monetary policy to geopolitical hazards that include Kiev and Hong Kong.CNBC
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Bloomberg’s Scarlet Fu, Adam Johnson, and Adam Parker, chief U.S. equity analyst at Morgan Stanley, discuss the Twitter question of the day on "Bloomberg Surveillance."Bloomberg
One of the most infuriating things about the...Business Insider
The next leg of this market isn't going to be easy. Cramer, however, has done this before. And he has a plan.CNBC
By Sharon Bernstein RENO Nevada (Reuters) - Lance Gilman bounced his white GMC truck up a hill in the high desert country east of Reno, Nevada, and paused at the top to survey his property. Spread out below lay the 165-square-mile Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center, about five times the area of…Reuters
CALUMET, Okla. (AP) — A decade ago, states offered wind-energy developers an open-armed embrace, envisioning a bright future for an industry that would offer cheap electricity, new jobs and steady income for large landowners, especially in rural areas with few other economic prospects.Associated Press
John LaForge and Warren Pies write that from its peak in January 1980 through its trough in February of 1985, gold suffered 65.8% losses. At recent check the SPDR Gold Trust and Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bear 3X Shares (DUST) were lower.Barrons.com
Detroit lost more than 1 million residents and three-quarters of its retail businesses on its way to bankruptcy. Now Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) wants to go, too. “It’s not helpful when a company like that leaves,” said James Fouts, mayor of Warren, which borders Detroit and likewise will see the end of…Bloomberg
Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) – Bloomberg's Anna Kitanaka reports on Japan's massive trading error as $617B over-the-counter stock orders mistakenly flooded Japan's equity market, but were cancelled before being executed. She speaks to Angie Lau on "First Up." (Source: Bloomberg)Bloomberg
About 71% of people have financial worries, a survey shows.USA TODAY
Some vehicles receive more violations than others.MarketWatch
DENVER (AP) — Pot may be legal in Colorado, but you can still be fired for using it.Associated Press