New all-time high for the S&P 500 index, and VIX spot closed below 12 for the first time in nearly a month.
1. HTZ - Hertz traded its highest single day stock volume in its history. The stock was down more than 10% in the morning after the large guide lower, but ended down just 4% after Carl Icahn announced that he had amassed a 8.5% stake in HTZ. The Sept 25 puts were the most active line, with one large seller of 19k at 0.25 in the morning. 30 day implied volatility fell down to 35, its lowest level of the summer, after management finally shined some light on the long delayed earnings situation.
2. PBR - The Sept 18 calls trade 45k for 0.67 to open in the morning. PBR’s 52 week high is $17.97 from November. 30 day implied volatility remains elevated, around 45, which is near a 2 year high even though earnings is not for another 2 months. Options traders have been active in buying calls in the past month.
3. IYR - Rare trade in Jan16, as it looks like a buyer of 23,500 of the Jan16 45 puts for 0.65 to open. IYR last traded below $45 in 2010. IYR hit a new 52 week high this week, and is within 3% of its 5 year high of $76.21 from May 2013.
4. SUNE - Some call buying in the Aug22nd 20 strike weeklies, with 3700 being bought for 2.35 to open in the morning. SUNE is up 71% year-to-date, though the bulk of the gains came from January to March.
5. ADSK - Looks like a closing buyer of 8000 of the Oct 57.50 calls, which are bought for 1.18. There is 12,000 of open interest in the strike, and nearly 12k traded on the session. We discussed ADSK in Tuesday’s CotD post.
Recommended for You
We all know we should be saving. But how much? Yahoo Finance's Mandi Woodruff will tell you in this week’s Money Minute.Yahoo Finance
A treasure hunter locked in a legal battle over one of the greatest undersea hauls in American history was arrested in Florida after more than two years on the lam, authorities said Wednesday.Associated Press
There are also some “tax extenders” that weren’t renewed at the end of 2013 but that Congress retroactively passed at the end of 2014. The tax extenders are applicable for 2014 but expired on Dec. 31 so they aren’t applicable for 2015 unless Congress renews them again – a likely decision since the…The Fiscal Times
In more than 30 years around Wall Street, "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer has seen a lot, but not this.CNBC Videos
World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: WWE) announced on Tuesday that the company’s digital network had signed up its one-millionth subscriber, a target the company has long said it needed to reach ...24/7 Wall St.
Citigroup's Alastair Syme and team worry that big-oil companies like Chevron (CVX), ExxonMobil (XOM), and ConocoPhillips (COP) might betting too much on a return to higher oil prices. They explain: Until now the industry’s Plan A to restoring profitability has been to rely on a return to higher oil…Barrons.com
Brian Moynihan in 2013 received almost half-a-million dollars in corporate jet perks, in addition to his business-required travel, according to an article in Fortune magazine this week. The report, citing a study by research firm Equilar, lists the five Fortune 100 CEOs receiving the most corporate…American City Business Journals
- AdChoicesInstant CheckmateSponsored
A new site has made it easy to find out the truth about the people you already know and people you meet! Simply type in a name and select a state!
A Star Wars fan sells a collection of Star Wars figures - including one item for £18,000 - to raise the cash to buy a house.BBC News
Sure, Roth plans let your savings grow tax free. But if you're nearing retirement, a traditional pre-tax account may be the best choice.Money
Gold is having a solid year so far and Peter Schiff thinks, with some help from the Fed, the yellow metal has nowhere to go but up.Yahoo Finance
By John Ruwitch SHANGHAI (Reuters) - A China regulator has accused Alibaba Group Holding Ltd of failing to clean up what it called illegal business deals on the e-commerce titan's platforms, in an unusually strong government criticism of one of the country's biggest private companies. The State…Reuters
A big drop in oil prices ought to help the Dow Transports, but, worryingly, it isn’t, says Mark Hulbert.MarketWatch
Shares of Brazilian state-run energy company Petrobras (PBR) fell in morning trading Wednesday after it published its unaudited third-quarter results after a more than two-month delay.TheStreet.com
The US dollar is having a terrible day...Business Insider
FBN’s Liz MacDonald on the models affected by Ford’s safety recall.Fox Business Videos
Nintendo Co. (7974) ’s cut to forecasts for profit and sales show even new titles with Mario can’t make consumers choose its Wii U console over other gaming options. While the sliding Japanese yen enabled Nintendo to increase its expected net income, all three projections are below analyst…Bloomberg
Skymark Airlines Inc. (9204) , Japan’s third-largest carrier, plans to file for bankruptcy after running short of cash, according to people familiar with the situation. The airline said in July it’s at risk of going out of business and reiterated that position in November. Skymark was discussing…Bloomberg
Russia's plans to bolster lending to the real economy and create a "bad bank" echo some of the post-credit crisis actions of Western governments.CNBC
U.S.'s second-largest mobile provider expands abroad with $1.87 billion Mexican acquisition.Fortune
Intuit Inc. issued a public apology stating that it "messed up" when it changed its software and removed several tax forms from its Turbo Tax Deluxe version, forcing people to buy TurboTax Premier. The letter comes on the heels of H&R Block announcing it would offer a free conversion to its Deluxe…American City Business Journals