New all-time high for the S&P 500 index, and VIX spot closed below 12 for the first time in nearly a month.
1. HTZ - Hertz traded its highest single day stock volume in its history. The stock was down more than 10% in the morning after the large guide lower, but ended down just 4% after Carl Icahn announced that he had amassed a 8.5% stake in HTZ. The Sept 25 puts were the most active line, with one large seller of 19k at 0.25 in the morning. 30 day implied volatility fell down to 35, its lowest level of the summer, after management finally shined some light on the long delayed earnings situation.
2. PBR - The Sept 18 calls trade 45k for 0.67 to open in the morning. PBR’s 52 week high is $17.97 from November. 30 day implied volatility remains elevated, around 45, which is near a 2 year high even though earnings is not for another 2 months. Options traders have been active in buying calls in the past month.
3. IYR - Rare trade in Jan16, as it looks like a buyer of 23,500 of the Jan16 45 puts for 0.65 to open. IYR last traded below $45 in 2010. IYR hit a new 52 week high this week, and is within 3% of its 5 year high of $76.21 from May 2013.
4. SUNE - Some call buying in the Aug22nd 20 strike weeklies, with 3700 being bought for 2.35 to open in the morning. SUNE is up 71% year-to-date, though the bulk of the gains came from January to March.
5. ADSK - Looks like a closing buyer of 8000 of the Oct 57.50 calls, which are bought for 1.18. There is 12,000 of open interest in the strike, and nearly 12k traded on the session. We discussed ADSK in Tuesday’s CotD post.
Recommended for You
Costco’s marriage to Visa has been rocky pretty much from the start — and this weekend shoppers faced a new problem, despite assurances that issues in the relationship were being ironed out. On Friday evening, a number of Costco members received emails from Citi, the issuer of the new Visa-Costco…Business Insider
Pinal County, Arizona, right next to Phoenix, was founded in 1875 and is home to roughly 400,000...Business Insider
Members of Congress are demanding more information on why the price for lifesaving EpiPens has skyrocketed. EpiPens are injection devices used to ward off potentially fatal allergic reactions, and the price has surged in recent years. Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, wrote Mylan, the company that…Associated Press
As two significant chart patterns come to a head, Apple looks primed to either tank or soar. Why one technical analyst is betting on the latter.CNBC
Jim Cramer isn't salivating about biotech acquisitions like everyone else. Instead, he says this group is the next fiery group to watch.CNBC Videos
New U.S. single-family home sales unexpectedly surged in July, reaching their highest level in nearly nine years amid robust demand, brightening the housing market outlook and bolstering views that economic growth will pick up in the third quarter. Housing market strength should offset some of the…Reuters
California's ban on the use of suction dredges to extract gold from rivers is legal and not overridden by a 19th century federal law that allows mining on federal land, the California Supreme Court ruled ...Associated Press
This former IRS commissioner says Trump has no excuse for not releasing his tax returns. None. At the very least, he should release the first two pages.CNBC
It is possible for Millennials to retire with $1,000,000, if they take the right steps and make the necessary sacrifices now.Investopedia
Apple CEO Tim Cook took the helm from Steve Jobs five years ago, but his legacy will be defined more by what he does in the next five years.CNBC
With just over a quarter of the year remaining, Boeing has taken orders for less than 20% of the wide-body planes it has forecast.247wallst.com
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump's campaign is taking up more space inside Trump Tower in New York -- and paying a lot more in rent.Associated Press
Donald Trump is notoriously thin-skinned. And when provoked, he tends to overreact wildly. His latest fit of pique is over comments that Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC’s Morning Joe made about a speech Trump ...The Fiscal Times
Aug. 22 -- On "With All Due Respect,” Republican Congressman Jason Chaffetz of Utah discusses the controversy surrounding Hillary Clinton’s use of a private e-mail server, whether the former secretary of state perjured herself, and why Utah is in play in the 2016 presidential race.Bloomberg Video
Markets are only half listening to the Fed – and that leaves room for a bigger reaction if Fed Chair Janet Yellen sounds hawkish.CNBC
In the latest chapter of the long saga of Hillary Clinton’s woeful mishandling of highly sensitive government documents and email, the government confirmed on Monday that the FBI uncovered nearly 15,000 previously undisclosed documents that Clinton sent or received during her four years as…The Fiscal Times
The lavish $4.1 billion Wynn Palace megaresort threw open its doors Monday as the world's biggest casino market remains in the grips of a slump.CNBC
Two Hong Kong-based managing directors at Credit Suisse Group AG plan to leave the bank to start a macro hedge fund, according to people familiar with the matter.Bloomberg
Oil prices fell on Wednesday as an unexpected build in U.S. crude inventories weighed on markets, along with concerns that Chinese crude demand could falter as Beijing clamps down on alleged tax evasion in the oil industry. International Brent crude oil futures were trading at $49.32 a barrel at…Reuters
Luxury automaker Lamborghini expects to at least double production to 7,000 vehicles a year by 2019 once it rolls out a new SUV, but it will not lose its focus on making sports cars, Chief Executive Officer Stefano Domenicali said Tuesday. The Italian automaker is owned by Volkswagen Group through…Reuters