CBOE composite put/call ratio closed at 0.97 as put activity picked up in the macro ETFs. Single stock options activity was focused in the technology sector.
1. XLF - Trader bought 200k of the Aug16th 21/19 put spreads for 0.02 to open. XLF last traded below $22 in mid-May, and the 200 day moving average in XLF is $21.83. The financials ETF has been unable to break above the July 3rd high of $23.07 over the past month.
2. YHOO - Stock hit a one month high, and calls traded over 2x the average 1 month volume. Buyer of 20k of the Sept 40/45 call spreads for 0.55 around 10:00 am EDT. In addition, there was an aggressive buyer of the Aug16th 36 calls around 11 am, paying an average price of 1.25 for around 20k. 30 day implied volatility jumped nearly 2 points. The Alibaba IPO is expected in September, as outlined last week by the WSJ, and Sept20th expiration implied volatility is around 38.50, vs. around 31.50 for Aug16th expiration.
3. BRCM - BRCM is up 28% year-to-date, with its announcement of a plan to wind down or sell its cellular baseband unit in early June a big driver of the gains. Buyer of over 30k of the Aug16th 41 calls for an average price of 0.136 shortly after the open. Looks like a buyer to close after initiating an overwrite around 0.55 in early June.
4. S - While Sprint reported a slight quarterly profit, the company still lost 245,000 subscribers, indicating its struggle to compete. Management suggested that more price cuts would be necessary to stop the customer decline. Stock closed near a 6 month low. There was a seller of 31k of the Aug16th 8 puts at 0.20 to close in the morning.
5. GT - Goodyear fell 8% on its earnings report after lowered guidance and a slight miss on Q2 revenues, despite a one penny beat on EPS. GS Research (which has a conviction buy on GT) summarized the possible reasons for the lowered full year guidance:
We believe the lowered guide is fully explained by a mix shift to passenger car tires vs. commercial vehicle and OTR tires, driving a lower tailwind from raw materials and not from incremental pricing pressure. Additionally, we see the lower guide for price/mix less raw materials being more than offset by higher volumes (2Q14 saw share gains in NA and increased industry shipment guidance) and better than expected cost performance (pension, Amiens closure, cost savings measures). As a result, our net numbers for 2014 remain unchanged.
Call options were active, with a trader rolling down the Oct 29 and Oct 30 calls (selling 11k each at 0.27 and 0.17 respectively), and buying 25k of the Oct 28 calls for 0.53 to open. GT remained above its 200 day ma, which is around $24.96.
6. GLD - Buyer of 25k of the Oct 140 / 150 call spread for 0.21. GLD has remained rangebound between $119 and $129 for the past 4 months, and has not traded above $140 since May 2013.
Recommended for You
There’s no longer any doubt that the Democratic presidential contest has devolved into a blood feud as many supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders are openly praying that former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will be indicted for using a private email server to handle sensitive government…The Fiscal Times
Here's how Millennials are finding homeownership increasingly affordable--with smaller down payments and no extra fees.The Street
You can learn a lot from how rich people handle their money.MarketWatch
Huge Berkshire Hathaway Trade Highlights Insider Buying: Phillips 66, General Electric, Baxter International and More
One thing is for sure, the insiders at major companies continue to buy shares even as the S&P 500 creeps closer and closer to last year's all-time highs.247wallst.com
Shift your career. Fuel what drives you. Explore new adventures at every turn.
May 30 -- Wayne Gordon, executive director for commodities at UBS Wealth Management, CIO Office, discusses the OPEC meeting later this week, oil prices and where he sees opportunity. He speaks to Bloomberg's Rishaad Salamat on "Trending Business."Bloomberg Video
The risk of a default chain reaction is looming over the $3.6 trillion market for wealth management products in China.Bloomberg
The going has been a bit tough for David Einhorn lately, and he has been doing some selling in turn.The Street
Everything you need to know about the tiny, ultra-cheap computer that has taken the world by storm.TechRepublic
U.S. regulators launched an investigation on Thursday into complaints by United States Steel Corp that Chinese competitors stole its secrets and fixed prices, in the latest trade spat between the two countries. U.S. Steel is seeking to halt nearly all imports from China's largest steel producers…Reuters
Japanese retail sales fell in April for the second consecutive month, bolstering the argument that a nationwide sales tax increase scheduled for April next year should be delayed. Japanese retail sales fell 0.8 percent in April from a year earlier, less than a median market forecast for a 1.2…Reuters
Oil prices dipped on Monday as a strong dollar weighed on markets and Canadian oil sands production was expected to increase this week. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were trading at $49.22 per barrel at 0656 GMT (02:56 a.m. EDT), down 11 cents from their last settlement. The…Reuters
NANCHANG, China (AP) — China's largest private property developer, the Wanda Group, opened an entertainment complex on Saturday that it's positioning as a distinctly homegrown rival to Disney and its $5.5 billion Shanghai theme park opening next month.Associated Press
South Korea's Samsung Bioepis said on Monday its biosimilar of Johnson & Johnson's blockbuster rheumatoid arthritis drug Remicade has received final approval from European regulators, paving the way for its second product launch in Europe. Samsung Bioepis, an unlisted arm of South Korea's top…Reuters
A Dubai-based investor group led by Emaar Properties PJSC Chairman Mohamed Alabbar failed in its attempt to buy a 69 percent stake in Middle Eastern fast-food operator Kuwait Food Co., the latest twist ...Bloomberg
St. Louis Federal Reserve President James Bullard said on Monday global markets appear to be "well-prepared" for a summer interest rate hike from the Fed, although he did not specify a date for the policy move. "My sense is that markets are well-prepared for a possible rate increase globally, and…Reuters
China's P2P players are under regulatory scrutiny after frauds at high-profile lenders, but at least one firm expects benefits from the sector's shake-up. Eunice Yoon reports.CNBC Videos
Republican nominee Donald Trump has unveiled some of his plans for U.S. energy policies during a speech at an energy conference in Bismarck North DakotaOilprice.com
Embattled commodity trader Noble Group (NOBG.SI) announced the surprise resignation of CEO Yusuf Alireza on Monday and said it planned to sell a U.S. unit to bolster its balance sheet as it seeks to regain investor confidence. Alireza, a former Goldman Sachs banker had steered Asia's biggest…Reuters
By Chine Labbé PARIS (Reuters) - Analysis of data seized by investigators in last week's raid of Google's Paris headquarters could possibly take years, French financial prosecutor Eliane Houlette said on Sunday. Dozens of French police raided Google's offices on Tuesday, escalating an investigation…Reuters
You should be aware of the potential financial pitfalls that await as retirement begins.USA Today