CBOE composite put/call ratio closed at 0.97 as put activity picked up in the macro ETFs. Single stock options activity was focused in the technology sector.
1. XLF - Trader bought 200k of the Aug16th 21/19 put spreads for 0.02 to open. XLF last traded below $22 in mid-May, and the 200 day moving average in XLF is $21.83. The financials ETF has been unable to break above the July 3rd high of $23.07 over the past month.
2. YHOO - Stock hit a one month high, and calls traded over 2x the average 1 month volume. Buyer of 20k of the Sept 40/45 call spreads for 0.55 around 10:00 am EDT. In addition, there was an aggressive buyer of the Aug16th 36 calls around 11 am, paying an average price of 1.25 for around 20k. 30 day implied volatility jumped nearly 2 points. The Alibaba IPO is expected in September, as outlined last week by the WSJ, and Sept20th expiration implied volatility is around 38.50, vs. around 31.50 for Aug16th expiration.
3. BRCM - BRCM is up 28% year-to-date, with its announcement of a plan to wind down or sell its cellular baseband unit in early June a big driver of the gains. Buyer of over 30k of the Aug16th 41 calls for an average price of 0.136 shortly after the open. Looks like a buyer to close after initiating an overwrite around 0.55 in early June.
4. S - While Sprint reported a slight quarterly profit, the company still lost 245,000 subscribers, indicating its struggle to compete. Management suggested that more price cuts would be necessary to stop the customer decline. Stock closed near a 6 month low. There was a seller of 31k of the Aug16th 8 puts at 0.20 to close in the morning.
5. GT - Goodyear fell 8% on its earnings report after lowered guidance and a slight miss on Q2 revenues, despite a one penny beat on EPS. GS Research (which has a conviction buy on GT) summarized the possible reasons for the lowered full year guidance:
We believe the lowered guide is fully explained by a mix shift to passenger car tires vs. commercial vehicle and OTR tires, driving a lower tailwind from raw materials and not from incremental pricing pressure. Additionally, we see the lower guide for price/mix less raw materials being more than offset by higher volumes (2Q14 saw share gains in NA and increased industry shipment guidance) and better than expected cost performance (pension, Amiens closure, cost savings measures). As a result, our net numbers for 2014 remain unchanged.
Call options were active, with a trader rolling down the Oct 29 and Oct 30 calls (selling 11k each at 0.27 and 0.17 respectively), and buying 25k of the Oct 28 calls for 0.53 to open. GT remained above its 200 day ma, which is around $24.96.
6. GLD - Buyer of 25k of the Oct 140 / 150 call spread for 0.21. GLD has remained rangebound between $119 and $129 for the past 4 months, and has not traded above $140 since May 2013.
Recommended for You
Why did Hillary Clinton reward Debbie Wasserman Schultz after WikiLeaks published emails that exposed how the supposedly neutral DNC Chair helped undermine Bernie Sanders and abused her office? Clinton elevated the disgraced operative to Honorary Co-Chair of her campaign, further enraging Bernie’s…The Fiscal Times
Read about the differences between money market accounts and savings accounts, and see why a depositor would elect a money market over a savings account.Investopedia
Jim Cramer cracked the case on how Apple managed to pull off a better-than-expected quarter, leaving investors salivating for more.CNBC
Beijing deflated a bubble on the ChiNext, where companies trade at 1,000 times earnings.Bloomberg
SEATTLE (AP) — As crude oil trains began rolling through its downtown a few years ago, Spokane was among the first cities to pass a resolution calling for stronger federal safety regulations.Associated Press
If you've ever wondered if you could take advantage of a cash-back or rewards credit card to make your monthly mortgage payment, here's your answer.Credit.com
Retirees may find living on a cruise ship makes financial sense when compared to other options.CNBC Videos
Alcoa Inc. plans to cut the number of its publicly traded shares with a 1-for-3 reverse stock split, as the aluminum maker prepares to split into two companies.MarketWatch
In short, usually bullish strategist Tom Lee advises that investors should “sell the beach, buy the teach.”CNBC
Before you can reach your lump sum goal, estimate the income required to support the retirement you want.Kiplinger.com
- Advance AmericaSponsored
We keep the tough going with 2,300 convenient locations, 6,500 helpful employees & a 97% customer satisfaction rating. Talk about strength in numbers.
SPARKS, Nev. (AP) — It's Tesla Motors' biggest bet yet: a massive, $5 billion factory in the Nevada desert that could nearly double the world's production of lithium-ion batteries.Associated Press
The failed coup in Turkey on July 15-16 has done exactly what many experts predicted: It’s given Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan a green light to implement the next stage of his plan to turn the country into an Islamic state. Turkey has been a particularly important NATO ally of the United…The Fiscal Times
The The Woodlands, Texas-based company said it had net income of 36 cents per share. Earnings, adjusted for restructuring costs and non-recurring costs, were 53 cents per share. The results beat Wall Street ...Associated Press
- Oceania CruisesSponsored
Traveling with Oceania Cruises offers outstanding values. Our 2 for 1 Cruise Fares even include Airfare*. Plus, stay in touch with Unlimited Internet.
Grain futures were higher Wednesday in early trading on the Chicago Board of Trade. Wheat for Sept. delivery was 3.50 cents a bale higher $4.1860 a bushel; Sept. corn was 4.25 cents higher at $3.3660 bushel; ...Associated Press
Apple wants to be more than just a company that makes iPhones and is growing revenue from services, up 19 percent in its fiscal third quarter.CNBC
The U.S. watchdog for consumer finances unveiled on Thursday a major proposal to toughen regulation of the multibillion-dollar debt collection industry, with a focus on keeping agencies from pushing people to pay debts they do not owe, informing borrowers of their rights and cutting down on calls…Reuters
Stocks ended Wednesday's trading slightly lower as shares of energy companies and consumer goods makers outweighed gains in technology companies like Apple. On Wednesday: The Dow Jones industrial average ...Associated Press
July 27 -- Mark Halperin and John Heilemnann discuss a battle of potential first daughters on “With All Due Respect.”Bloomberg Video
Credit Suisse says second-quarter net profit plunged 84 percent as the Swiss bank pressed on with a restructuring and revaluation of its investment banking portfolio. The bank, which is being restructured ...Associated Press