CBOE composite put/call ratio closed at its lowest level in a month, at 0.75. Aside from the usual technology names, some retail and commodity stocks had unusual options activity.
1. SPLS - Buyer of 10k of the Jan15 13 calls for 0.30. SPLS has held just above its 10 year low of 10.57 over the past month. The stock last traded above $13 in mid-May before earnings. We have a position on in SPLS that we laid out a month ago. The company is expected to report earnings in late August.
2. WAG - Large roll in WAG calls. Trader sold 27,000 of the Aug 85 calls at .15 to close, and bought 27,000 Aug 80 calls for .60 to open, when the stock was 72.68. WAG’s all-time high is from June 19, hitting $76.39 intraday. The stock is currently up 27% year-to-date.
3. RIO - RIO has shown some strength along with commodity stocks and emerging markets in the past month. The stock is approaching its 2 year resistance level of $60. There was a buyer of 10,000 Aug 55/57.50 put spreads for $1.00, looks like rolling from the 55 strike up to the 57.50 strike. RIO reports earnings on Aug 7. The stock is up 2.7% year-to-date.
4. PBR - Seller of 24,400 of the Sept 18 calls at 0.89. PBR has not traded above $18 since May 2013. The company reports earnings on August 8th. The stock has staged a huge rally since mid-March, and is now up 24.5% year-to-date.
5. TLM - Call options very active after TLM disclosed that Repsol has expressed interest in “various transactions” with Talisman. The Aug16th 11 calls traded over 20k at an average price of 0.44, and the Oct and Sept 12 calls both traded over 10k as well. Analysts are not sure whether that implies a full takeover bid, or simply purchases of parts of the company. Stock closed at its highest level since January.
6. AAPL - AAPL closed at its highest level since Sept 2012. Options traded more than 2x average volume. Outside of weekly options, the Sept 105 calls were the most active line, trading over 50k at an average price of 0.80 on the session.
This post by Enis Taner (@enistaner) originally appeared on RiskReversal.com
Recommended for You
When a coworker mentioned that she wanted to start tracking her expenses more carefully, I was...Business Insider
Donald Trump gave an amazing speech about his approach to US foreign policy on Wednesday, at least according to Donald Trump. At an event sponsored by the Center for the National Interest, the Republican presidential frontrunner delivered a 5,000-word speech touching on his criticisms of the Obama…The Fiscal Times
United Parcel Service Inc. warned it may have to take a charge of as much as $3.8 billion related to a potential pension-fund obligation.Bloomberg
Natalie Clarke, a 15-year-old who owns 5,000 shares of Bank of America, is on to something....Business Insider
These days the web is full of stories about how to massage your credit history and score to look your best to lenders. On this site and others, you’ve probably seen stories like “ 7 Fast Ways to Raise ...Money Talks News
Patrick Soon-Shiong performed the world’s first pig-to-man cell transplant to treat diabetes. He sold two drug companies, making enough to become a billionaire and buy a stake in the Los Angeles Lakers ...Bloomberg
April 28 -- While stumping in Indiana, Ted Cruz responded to negative remarks by former Speaker of the House John Boehner, in which he called the Texas senator “Lucifer in the flesh.” Cruz claimed he doesn’t know Boehner and has rarely spoken to him. “What Boehner is angry with is the American…Bloomberg Video
It seems harmless until you realize the huge sums of money it costs you.USA Today
Billionaire Carl Icahn, who first disclosed his stake in Apple Inc. almost three years ago, has sold out of his position because of concerns about the company’s relationship with China, the activist said ...Bloomberg
Billionaire investor Carl Icahn is extremely cautious on the market, he told CNBC's "Power Lunch" on Thursday.CNBC.com
The government is hoping that a new form will help the more than 43 million consumers who owe federal student loans find the most affordable repayment plan. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau on Thursday introduced a mock-up of a disclosure form called the Payback Playbook that lenders will…The Fiscal Times
For patient GE investors, a catchup move will provide a much-needed confidence boost.The Street
Lamborghini is honoring the 100th anniversary of its founder's birth with the introduction of a very fast, very expensive supercar.Los Angeles Times
Nina Schick, Open Europe communications director, discusses what's next for German Chancellor Angela Merkel with Bloomberg's Joe Weisenthal, Scarlet Fu and Tracy Alloway on "What'd You Miss?" (Source: Bloomberg)Bloomberg Video
Oracle (ORCL) shares are slipping on Thursday morning after the company announced that it is buying Textura in a deal valued at about $663 million.The Street
Since October 2014, SolarCity Corp. has tried to lure individual investors to the solar-power business by pitching $214 million of what it calls “solar bonds” through the company’s website. The bonds were an “excellent investment,” billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk said in an interview. Mr. Musk…The Wall Street Journal
Pharmaceutical giant AbbVie on Thursday said it will acquire South San Francisco cancer drug startup Stemcentrx in a deal that could be worth up to $10.2 billion. The price paid for Stemcentrx also raises questions about recent mutual fund markdowns of valuations. Fidelity Investments, which co-led…American City Business Journals
The studio behind World of Warcraft responds to a petition asking it to run a server for the original version of the video game.BBC News
The CEO of Priceline Group, Darren Huston, has stepped down because of a "personal conduct...Business Insider
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Venezuelan cities cleaned up from a night of looting and fiery protests Wednesday as government offices closed their doors for the rest of the week in the face of a worsening energy crisis that is causing daily blackouts.Associated Press