It was a tough week for the IRS (and gold) but not so for stocks: Friday capped four straight weeks of gains for Wall Street as the Dow and S&P 500 climbed to fresh new highs, continuing the "relentless rally" that has given investors a fantastic year -- in just six months.
What should headline-watchers and investors be looking out for next week? Here are some of the highlights ahead, including two very special Yahoo! Finance events.
Monday, May 20
- At least two more hearings on the IRS scandal regarding targeting of conservative groups will take place this week
- Earnings: Campbell Soup (CPB), TiVo (TIVO)
- Fed Speaker: Charles Evans
- Breakout segments scheduled: The fear of Fed tapering is overblown: Don Hays; Don't hope for gold and silver recoveries: Louise Yamada; The Japanese economy: Jim Rogers
- Daily Ticker segments scheduled: 8:30 am — Don't Piss off Jamie Dimon: He's America's best banker (Howard Davidowitz); Jim Rogers on the commodities supercycle
Tuesday, May 21
- JPMorgan (JPM) shareholder meeting, in which the much-discussed/analyzed vote on splitting CEO and chairman role for Jamie Dimon will occur
- Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook will testify in a Senate hearing on corporate tax practices, focused on allocating profits overseas and avoiding high U.S. taxes. Apple is sitting on close to $100 billion in offshore cash.
- Fed speakers: Fred Bullard, William C. Dudley
- Earnings: Home Depot (HD), Best Buy (BBY)
- Breakout segments scheduled: Chris Whalen on the JP Morgan/ Jamie Dimon vote
- Daily Ticker segments scheduled: Andrew Ross Sorkin joins to discuss the case for Jamie Dimon to keep both the chairman and CEO roles
Wednesday, May 22
- SPECIAL: As part of Internet week in New York City, Yahoo! Finance will host a panel on “Financial Education for the Next Generation via Online and Social Media.” Aaron Task (Editor in Chief, Yahoo! Finance), Bruce Kamich (Professor of Finance, Baruch College, Rachel Fox (actress/day trader/ FoxOnStocks.com) and Stephanie Grayson (Social Media Editor, Yahoo! Finance) will participate. Be there: This event will be streamed live on Yahoo! Finance at 2:00 p.m. ET.
- Fed chief Ben Bernanke will testify on U.S. economic outlook before the Joint Economic Committee of Congress
- FOMC minutes will be released at 2:00 p.m. ET
- Data: Mortgage applications, existing home sales
- Analyst day: Boeing (BA)
- Shareholder meetings: Royal Caribbean (RCL), Travelers (TRV)
- Earnings: Lowe's (LOW), Target (TGT), Staples (SPLS), Toll Brothers (TOL), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ)
- Fed speaker: Jeremy C. Stein
Thursday, May 23
- SPECIAL: Generation I.O.U.: Live stream. As college graduation season gets under way, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Finance and The Daily Ticker are teaming up to produce a special live streaming event at 12:30 pm ET around the rising cost of college. Share your story and questions by uploading a short video to the Generation I.O.U. group or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fed speaker: Fred Bullard
- Shareholder meetings: Goldman Sachs (GS), L Brands (LTD), McDonald's (MCD), Time Warner (TWX)
- Earnings: Dollar Tree (DLTR), Gamestop (GME), Ralph Lauren (RL), Sears Holdings (SHLD), Gap (GPS), Aeropostale (ARO), Pandora (P)
- Data: New home sales, weekly jobless claims, PMI manufacturing index flash, FHFA home price index, natural gas inventories, Kansas City Fed survey, Fed balance sheet/money supply
Friday, May 24