(Reuters) - * The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX <.GSPTSE> rose 77.51 points, or 0.54 percent, to 14,504.13.
* Leading the index were New Gold Inc , up 6.7 percent, Laurentian Bank of Canada , up 6.3 percent, and Aphria Inc , higher by 5.8 percent.
* Lagging shares were Kirkland Lake Gold Ltd , down 4.7 percent, Semafo Inc , down 4.3 percent, and Sandstorm Gold Ltd , lower by 3.7 percent.
* On the TSX 168 issues rose and 68 fell as a 2.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 1 new highs and 1 new lows, with total volume of 251.8 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Crescent Point Energy Corp , Enbridge Inc and Bombardier Inc .
* The TSX's energy group <.SPTTEN> rose 0.18 points, or 0.12 percent, while the financials sector <.SPTTFS> climbed 0.01 points, or 0 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.48 percent, or $0.71, to $48.67 a barrel. Brent crude rose 0.84 percent, or $0.48, to $57.54 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 1.3 percent for the year.
(Reporting By Sinéad Carew)