ERIE, Pa., Feb. 12, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Below freezing temperatures and snow-covered roads can make the decision to stay cuddled up inside tempting. Don't let the winter weather get you in a rut. Erie Insurance offers 11 ways you can stay active during these winter months:
1. Snowshoeing/snow hiking: Snow on the ground doesn't mean you can't enjoy area parks and trails. Many state and local parks stay open year-round. These hikes can be an easy walk or an intense workout, depending on how hard you push yourself.
2. Skiing/snowboarding/sledding: Making your way to a ski resort or local hill can make for an exciting trip with friends or family. And it's a great way to burn calories — especially if you're walking back up the hill, too.
3. Snowmobiling: If you've got the space and the gear, snowmobiling is an intense way to get out and enjoy the winter weather. Don't have a snowmobile of your own? A quick online search can help you find rental options in your area.
4. Ice skating: Ice skating is good for cardio and building lower body strength. If you can keep your balance, this is another fun activity for friends, family or couples.
5. Ice fishing: For outdoor enthusiasts, ice fishing is an excuse to catch fish year-round while tackling a new challenge. Just make sure you're prepared before you drill through the lake.
6. Walking: A walk through light snow can be just as beautiful as any other season. As long as it's not too cold, bundling up for a 15-minute walk will get you active and out of the house. In fact, many find the cool winter air to be especially refreshing.
7. Join a gym. A gym membership will give you a place to go when you can't get your exercise in anywhere else. It's an easy way to get a full workout, since gyms have a wide range of equipment that wouldn't fit in your home.
8. Take the stairs. Not ready to join a gym? Start with something a little less intimidating. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator can help you burn a few extra calories and will build cardio stamina over time.
9. Join an indoor sports league. Just because winter starts doesn't mean team sports stop. Check your local gym or community center for indoor sports leagues like soccer, tennis or basketball.
10. Use free weights or resistance bands. Don't want to leave the comfort of your house? There's plenty of equipment you can use at home to break a sweat. You can get a full-body workout with resistance bands or free weights, and they don't take up much room.
11. Watch online workout videos. Even without weights and bands, online workout videos can get you into shape in your own living room. Whether it's cardio, yoga, Pilates or strength training, there are dozens of options available to find the workout that's right for you.
As the seasons change, your options for staying active do too. Erie Insurance also understands that living well also means feeling confident and calm.
You can relax and enjoy more of what makes you and your family happy knowing that your home, the investments you made in your home and the things you value most are protected. Learn more about ERIE's homeowners insurance or find a local ERIE agent in your neighborhood to get a quote.
Erie Insurance Group
According to A.M. Best Company, Erie Insurance Group, based in Erie, Pennsylvania, is the 9th largest homeowners insurer and 11th largest automobile insurer in the United States based on direct premiums written and the 16th largest property/casualty insurer in the United States based on total lines net premium written. The Group, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, has more than 5 million policies in force and operates in 12 states and the District of Columbia. Erie Insurance Group is a FORTUNE 500 company.
News releases and more information about Erie Insurance Group are available at www.erieinsurance.com.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/11-ways-to-stay-active-in-the-winter-months-300793534.html