Something of a modern Crusader, Evangelist Billy Graham addressed audiences from stadiums (events which he called Crusades) to the Twitter-sphere with spiritual counsel from post World War II until his death today, February 21st, at age 99. He provided devotional guidance for every president from Harry Truman to Barack Obama. A supporter of the Civil Rights movement, Graham bailed Martin Luther King Jr. out of prison, and integrated his crowd-drawing sermons with pastors of color. We remember the late legend with some of his own words of wisdom.
1. "When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost."
2. "My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."
3. "Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened."
4. "God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with."
5. "Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love."
6. "Tears shed for self are tears of weakness, but tears shed for others are a sign of strength."
7. "A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone."
8. "When granted many years of life, growing old in age is natural, but growing old with grace is a choice."
9. "Racial prejudice, anti-Semitism, or hatred of anyone with different beliefs has no place in the human mind or heart."
10. "The word 'romance,' according to the dictionary, means excitement, adventure, and something extremely real. Romance should last a lifetime."
11. "The great question of our time is, 'Will we be motivated by materialistic philosophy or by spiritual power?'"
12. "I think it is a sin to look at another person as inferior to yourself because of race or because of ethnic background, and I think the greatest thing to do is to pray that God will give you love for them, and I do."
13. "Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion - it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ."
14. "I've read the last page of the bible. It's all going to turn out alright."
15. "I know that soon my life will be over. I thank God for it, and for all He has given me in this life...But I look forward to Heaven.”
You Might Also Like