J.D. Power released its annual study Wednesday ranking automakers and models based on consumer satisfaction. In general, large and more expensive vehicles scored higher than smaller and cheaper ones, according to J.D. Power. But the satisfaction gap between luxury brands and mass-market brands is narrowing compared to previous years, as is the gap between cars and SUVs.
“Every automaker is producing vehicles that consumers like but some of them are doing it at a higher level than others,” said Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power.
New technologies are also helping boost consumers’ satisfaction, according to Sargent.
“Owners have higher satisfaction if their vehicle is equipped with safety features such as blind spot monitor, collision avoidance and lane departure warning,” he said. “This should serve as a positive sign for manufacturers, as these features are some of the early building blocks for fully automated vehicles.”
Porsche had the highest overall score in the study, followed by tying BMW and Genesis, and then Audi and Volvo.
Ram had the highest score among mass-market brands and saw the most improvement since 2018’s study, according to J.D. Power. Dodge, Jaguar, Land Rover and Jeep also made “significant improvement.”
Ford models won the most awards with five between the Expedition, F-150, Ranger, Super Duty and Lincoln Navigator. BMW was next with three model awards for its 2 Series, X4, MINI Cooper and MINI Countryman.
The overall top model was Audi’s A7. Here are the other most popular cars by category, according to J.D. Power:
- Small car – Toyota Yaris
- Small premium car – BMW 2 Series
- Compact car – MINI Cooper
- Compact premium car – Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Midsize car – three-way tie between Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry
- Midsize sporty car – Dodge Challenger
- Midsize premium car – Audi A7
- Large car – Nissan Maxima
- Small SUV – MINI Countryman
- Compact SUV – GMC Terrain
- Compact premium SUV – BMW X4
- Midsize SUV – Chevrolet Blazer
- Midsize premium SUV – Porsche Cayenne
- Midsize pickup – Ford Ranger
- Minivan – Honda Odyssey
- Large SUV – Ford Expedition
- Large premium SUV – Lincoln Navigator
- Large light duty pickup – Ford F-150
- Large heavy duty pickup – Ford Super Duty