Shares of Auburn National Bancorporation Inc (NASDAQ:AUBN) will begin trading ex-dividend in 3 days. To qualify for the dividend check of US$0.24 per share, investors must have owned the shares prior to 07 September 2018, which is the last day the company’s management will finalize their list of shareholders to which they will send dividend payments. Should you diversify into Auburn National Bancorporation and boost your portfolio income stream? Well, keep on reading because today, I’m going to look at the latest data and analyze the stock and its dividend property in further detail.
How I analyze a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is it the top 25% annual dividend yield payer?
- Has its dividend been stable over the past (i.e. no missed payments or significant payout cuts)?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Is its earnings sufficient to payout dividend at the current rate?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
How well does Auburn National Bancorporation fit our criteria?
Auburn National Bancorporation has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 40.7%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
Reliablity is an important factor for dividend stocks, particularly for income investors who want a strong track record of payment and a positive outlook for future payout. In the case of AUBN it has increased its DPS from $0.74 to $0.96 in the past 10 years. It has also been paying out dividend consistently during this time, as you’d expect for a company increasing its dividend levels. These are all positive signs of a great, reliable dividend stock.
Relative to peers, Auburn National Bancorporation produces a yield of 2.1%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
Keeping in mind the dividend characteristics above, Auburn National Bancorporation is definitely worth considering for investors looking to build a dedicated income portfolio. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I recommend taking sufficient time to understand its core business and determine whether the company and its investment properties suit your overall goals. Below, I’ve compiled three pertinent aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for AUBN’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for AUBN’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is AUBN worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether AUBN is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.