Investors who want to cash in on West Bancorporation Inc’s (NASDAQ:WTBA) upcoming dividend of US$0.20 per share have only 4 days left to buy the shares before its ex-dividend date, 06 November 2018, in time for dividends payable on the 21 November 2018. Is this future income stream a compelling catalyst for dividend investors to think about the stock as an investment today? Let’s take a look at West Bancorporation’s most recent financial data to examine its dividend characteristics in more detail.
5 checks you should use to assess a dividend stock
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Is its annual yield among the top 25% of dividend-paying companies?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Does earnings amply cover its dividend payments?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
Does West Bancorporation pass our checks?
The company currently pays out 48% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Going forward, analysts expect WTBA’s payout to remain around the same level at 48% of its earnings, which leads to a dividend yield of 3.8%. In addition to this, EPS should increase to $1.76.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Although WTBA’s per share payments have increased in the past 10 years, it has not been a completely smooth ride. Investors have seen reductions in the dividend per share in the past, although, it has picked up again.
In terms of its peers, West Bancorporation has a yield of 3.7%, which is high for Banks stocks.
Taking into account the dividend metrics, West Bancorporation ticks most of the boxes as a strong dividend investment, putting it in my list of top dividend payers. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. There are three important factors you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for WTBA’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for WTBA’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is WTBA worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether WTBA is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.