Over 600 companies are reporting over the next 2 weeks including many of the big cap retailers.
It’s a mixed picture for the retailers with some pulling ahead of the pack while others struggle.
Who has the best earnings charts?
It’s not easy to beat every quarter, or almost every quarter, for years. Just a couple dozen companies manage to do it every quarter.
It takes a combination of good management, which communicates well with the analysts, and some good, old-fashioned, luck.
And these retailers have had to also deal with the whims of the consumers and the push towards online shopping.
5 Must-See Big Cap Retail Earnings Charts
1. Walmart WMT has busted out to new 5-year highs as shares have jumped 29% year-to-date. It has a great earnings beat record with just 2 misses in the last 5 years. Same-store-sales are the key metric with retailers. Will it report another solid quarter in that category?
2. JCPenney JCP has been struggling for several years but it has managed to beat on earnings 3 out of the last 4 quarters. It has a relatively new CEO who is still attempting to turn it around. Shares are down 62% year-to-date, however, and are at new multi-year lows. Is the worst over?
3. Home Depot HD is one of the earnings all-stars. It hasn’t missed in 5 years. Impressive. Shares are up 36% year-to-date and are breaking out again. Will same-store-sales growth keep shining?
4. The TJX Companies TJX has only missed one time in 5 years which is a great track record. The company owns TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods, all which are performing well. Shares just busted out to new 5-year highs. Is all the good news priced in?
5. Kohl’s KSS has beat 3 out of the last 4 quarters but shares have been in retreat. The shares are down 16% year-to-date while the S&P 500 is up 23%. But it has beat 3 out of the last 4 quarters. Is this a buying opportunity?
Breakout Biotech Stocks with Triple-Digit Profit Potential
The biotech sector is projected to surge beyond $775 billion by 2024 as scientists develop treatments for thousands of diseases. They’re also finding ways to edit the human genome to literally erase our vulnerability to these diseases.
Zacks has just released Century of Biology: 7 Biotech Stocks to Buy Right Now to help investors profit from 7 stocks poised for outperformance. Our recent biotech recommendations have produced gains of +98%, +119% and +164% in as little as 1 month. The stocks in this report could perform even better.
See these 7 breakthrough stocks now>>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
The Home Depot, Inc. (HD) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Walmart Inc. (WMT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
The TJX Companies, Inc. (TJX) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Kohl's Corporation (KSS) : Free Stock Analysis Report
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCP) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research