Earnings season isn’t over yet. The retailers and some tech titans are still set to report this week.
It’s been a wild ride for the retailers over the past few years. Most of the retailers bottomed out in 2017 when fears about being “Amazoned” were at their peak.
But some are facing new doubts and the tariff war between China and the United States isn’t going to help.
With unemployment at multi-decade lows, these 5 retailers should shed light on just how strong the consumer is in 2019.
5 Top Retailer Earnings Charts
1. Ralph Lauren RL has missed only once in the last 5 years. That’s impressive. Shares have bounced off of 2018’s December lows. But will this rally hold?
2. Macy’s M has beat 7 quarters in a row but shares have gotten hit hard in 2019. They’re down 27% year-to-date and are now trading with a forward P/E of just 7.2. Is the selling overdone?
3. Children’s Place PLCE has had it tough since competitor Gymboree filed for bankruptcy but that has mostly happened now so it should have the mall to itself going forward. It has missed twice in a row, however. Will this be the turnaround quarter?
4. Walmart WMT has missed only 3 times in the last 5 years. It has one of the better retail charts of the week, as well, as shares are up 7.2% year-to-date.
5. Boot Barn BOOT has beat 6 quarters in a row. This small retailer’s shares were just trading near a 52-week high but the tariff war has hit the shares. It’s trading at 19x. Will it surprise again?
Today's Best Stocks from Zacks
Would you like to see the updated picks from our best market-beating strategies? From 2017 through 2018, while the S&P 500 gained +15.8%, five of our screens returned +38.0%, +61.3%, +61.6%, +68.1%, and +98.3%.
This outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. From 2000 – 2018, while the S&P averaged +4.8% per year, our top strategies averaged up to +56.2% per year.
See their latest picks free >>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Children's Place, Inc. (The) (PLCE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Walmart Inc. (WMT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Macy's, Inc. (M) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Boot Barn Holdings, Inc. (BOOT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Ralph Lauren Corporation (RL) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research