6 Cops Kill Rapper Willie Bo While He Slept in His Car
McCoy—who made music under the moniker Willie Bo—was the target of "multiple rounds" fired by six Vallejo Police Department officers, according to a report from The Guardian. The shooting took place at a local Taco Bell, an employee of which had notified authorities that McCoy was "slumped over" in a silver Mercedes in a drive-thru lane.
As older brother Marc McCoy explained Tuesday, responding officers made "no attempt" at a peaceful resolution. Instead, he determined, they took the law into their own hands. "You're not judge, jury, and executioner," he said of how the responding officers handled the call.
In a statement, police have claimed the shots were fired "in fear for [the officers'] own safety." Police also claim that McCoy had reached for a handgun in his lap at the time he was killed, though they haven't alleged that he pointed the weapon at officers or anyone else.
Ultimately, the six responding officers all fired shots within an approximate block of time totaling four seconds. McCoy died at the scene.
"Police have a campaign of executing young black men who fit a certain profile," Wilie's cousin, David Harrison, said Tuesday. "Willie dressed the part. He represents hip-hop music."
The Vallejo Police Department did not immediately respond to Complex's request for comment.
- Ex-Florida Police Chief Sentenced to 3 Years in Prison for Framing Black Men
- Police Shoot and Kill Black Security Guard Who Stopped Gunman Inside Bar
- Dallas Police Department Fires Officer Who Killed Her Unarmed Neighbor
More from Complex
- 11 British R&B/Soul Artists To Watch In 2019
- Best Style Releases This Week: Kith x Versace, Golf Wang, Needles
- Celtics Reportedly Believe Anthony Davis' Manager Planted Story About Kyrie Wanting Out of Boston
- Premiere: Xiuhtezcatl Links Up With Jaden Smith on "Boombox Welfare"
- Nanamica and Goodhood Launch Exclusive Striped COOLMAX T-Shirt