NEW TAIPEI CITY, Taiwan, May 27, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- A total of 64 projects and business leaders across Asia were selected as recipients of the Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards (AREA) 2019, which was an increase of 19% from last year. Regarded as the top corporate social responsibility (CSR) awards in Asia, this year's ceremony was organized in Taipei, after being held in Macau, Singapore, Bangkok, and Manila previously.
Organized by Enterprise Asia, the leading non-governmental organization for responsible entrepreneurship in Asia, the AREA aims to recognize and honor Asian businesses and leaders for championing sustainable and socially responsible business practices. The award categories are Social Empowerment, Investment in People, Health Promotion, Green Leadership, Corporate Governance, and Responsible Business Leadership. Over 300 attendees were present at the by-invitation only event, comprising of industry leaders and leading CSR practitioners.
According to Mr. Ng, "Over the past decade, CSR has evolved to creating shared values. By recognizing and celebrating the outstanding ideas for sustainability, we hope to encourage the institutionalization of sustainability. When sustainability, doing good and social change become part of our corporate DNA -- they become permanent and not a subset of our profit and loss statement -- but the reason for it."
He added, "To date, our Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards has seen over 500 successful CSR projects being highlighted, with millions of communities uplifted and billions of lives touched and saved. Many of these projects have also served as a benchmark to other companies. Quite a few CSR departments and regional initiatives are now modelled after our categories and judging methodology, and we are quite happy to have played our part in drawing the direction for CSR across Asia."
This year, over 200 submissions across 16 countries were received from companies across Asia, with judges led by Dr. Chien, sieving through the submission over a three-month judging period.
According to Dr Chien, "The panel of judges were impressed by the quality and diversity of submissions this year and had the challenging task of evaluating and determining this year's finalists. This is a far cry from when we first started giving out the awards in year 2009. Besides being able to demonstrate the design and execution of sound and effective CSR programs, much thought has been given to its impact and measurability."
He added, "This year, over 35% of the winners emerged from Taiwan, overtaking Thailand, which has been taking the lead in the number of winning entries over the past few years. This demonstrates the expertise and capability of the CSR practitioners in Taiwan and we congratulate them on their commitment in achieving the SDGs."
Among the notable winning projects were "Less Carbon, Better Life" by Pacific SOGO Department Stores which instilled environment protection awareness by integrating its stakeholders to jointly create a green department store; and "Financial Education Program for Public Schools in the Philippines" by BDO Foundation, which raised the financial literacy of 24 million students in more than 47,000 public schools across the Philippines.
In conjunction with the AREA 2019, the International CSR Summit (ICS) 2019 was also held at Hilton Taipei Sinban. Themed "Take a Stand, Delivering on the Global Goals", the Summit convened over 300 corporate social responsibility (CSR) experts and practitioners from across 16 countries to collaborate and exchange insights on the most stirring conversations in CSR today, and in deliberating solutions to current society issues.
Some of the dignitaries who graced the AREA 2019 and ICS 2019 include Mr. Chang San-cheng, former premier of the Republic of China (Taiwan); Mr. Hou Yu-Ih, mayor of New Taipei City; Mr. Jonathan Chen, vice mayor of New Taipei City; Mr. Lai Ming-chi, director-general of Department of NGO International Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Tan Sri Dr. Fong Chan Onn, chairman of Enterprise Asia; Dr. Eugene Chien, Ambassador-at-Large of the Republic of China (Taiwan); and Dato' William Ng, president of Enterprise Asia.
Echoing the movement of the 2019 World Economic Forum in Davos, the ICS 2019 called for business decision makers to mobilize their resources to aggressively deliver on the United Nation's 17 Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 and to achieve a low carbon future. In the Summit, participants reflected upon the journey that the CSR community has embarked over the past decade, and the impact garnered from those initiatives.
Among the distinguished speakers of the Summit were Erdal Elver, CEO of Siemens Taiwan; Jean-Marc Champagne, head of environmental finance of WWF Hong Kong; Dr Niven Huang, regional leader of KPMG Sustainability Services Asia Pacific; Dr. Naoki Adachi, executive director of Japan Business Initiative For Biodiversity; Dr. Lih Chyi Wen, director of Center for Green Economy, Chung Hwa Institution for Economic Research; Alexandra Tracy, president of Hoi Ping Ventures Hong Kong; Shinji Onoda, policy researcher of Sustainability Governance Center, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies; Gennie Yen, founder of CSRone; Joanna Fong of DHL and Shalom Chen of L'Oreal.
The key takeaway of the Summit was to educate attendees on opportunities and strategies to decarbonize their businesses. Using case studies such as how a 170 years-old integrated company transformed itself into a low-carbon business amidst megatrend challenges, participants discovered strategies to accelerate the adoption of decarbonizing actions across the company. Topics on large scale collaborations across industry value chains, governance transformation, the significance of data collection, latest updates on science based targets initiatives, smart technologies and renewables that disrupt industry norms were also discussed among panellists and keynotes.
The most coveted CSR event in the region - AREA 2019 & ICS 2019 were supported by Official Local Partner - Taiwan Institute for Sustainable Energy; Official PR Partner - Fides Corporate Sustainability; Sponsor - Zero Emission Venture; Supporting Organizations - AmCham Taipei; British Chamber of Commerce; Chinese International Economic Cooperation Association; Circular Economy Club; CSRone; European Chamber of Commerce; Green Trade Project Office, Taiwan External Trade Development Council; Institute for Global Environmental Strategies; Ministry of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change, Malaysia; Taiwan Corporate Governance Association; Official News Release Distribution Partner - PR Newswire; and Official Media Partners - BusinessWorld; Commercial Times; SME Magazine; The Nation; Singapore Business Review and Tuoi Tre News.
PR Newswire is the Official News Release Distribution Partner of AREA 2019 & ICS 2019.
Recipient List of the Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards 2019
Responsible Business Leadership
- JOSEPH HUANG, CEO of E.SUN FINANCIAL HOLDING CO., LTD. (Taiwan)
- AISECT (India) - AISECT Multipurpose IT Centre Model
- APPLE DAILY CHARITABLE FOUNDATION (Hong Kong) - Apple Bursaries Scheme
- BANK RAKYAT (Malaysia) - Autism #Anakkita (Our kids)
- BDO FOUNDATION, INC. (Philippines) - Financial Education Programme For Public Schools in the Philippines
- BE INTERNATIONAL MARKETING SDN BHD (Malaysia) - Transforming the Lives of Children in Vietnam, Myanmar & Malaysia
- BEIJING ORIENTAL YUHONG WATERPROOF TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. (Mainland China) - Shanghai Aihao Children Rehabilitation Center
- CHINA MENGNIU DAIRY COMPANY LIMITED (Mainland China) - Mengniu Nutrition for All Programme
- CTBC FOUNDATION FOR ARTS AND CULTURE (Taiwan) - Love & Arts for Dreams Initiatives Project
- ELUSYF GLOBAL PTE LTD (Singapore) - Silver Screening 2-For-1
- ENGRO FERTILIZERS LIMITED (Pakistan) - PAVE (Partnership and Value Expansion) for Inclusive Seed Systems in Pakistan
- FAR EASTERN BIG CITY SHOPPING MALLS CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Co-hosting 8th Vocal Asia Festival with Kehua Foundation to Realise Big City's Vision of Promoting with Profound Impact the Preservation of Taiwan's Native Culture and Hakka Folk Songs
- FUBON LIFE INSURANCE CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Guarding the Demented Patients and their Families, and Promoting the Concept of Having Young People Accompany Elders
- GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK (Thailand) - GSB SMART Homestay
- GRABTAXI HOLDINGS PTE LTD (Singapore) - Sustainable Urban Mobility Initiative for All (SUMAI)
- IRPC PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - New Steps For New Life
- KING POWER INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD. (Thailand) - King Power Thai Power
- NAGAWORLD LIMITED (Cambodia) - Football Development Programme in Kampong Speu
- PEPSI-COLA PRODUCTS PHILIPPINES, INC. (Philippines) - Water For Peace in Marawi
- PLANET TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION (Taiwan) - Educational Programme for the Disadvantaged Children
- PT BADAK NGL (Indonesia) - Selangan City
- PT JAPFA COMFEED INDONESIA TBK (Indonesia) - JAPFA SiRepi Waste Bank
- PT PEMBANGKITAN JAWA-BALI (Indonesia) - Bawean Eco Edu Tourism
- PT PUPUK KALTIM (Indonesia) - Better Living in Malahing
- PTT EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - Crab Hatchery Learning Center Project
- REDTONE INTERNATIONAL BERHAD (Malaysia) - REDtone Kuala Lumpur International Junior Open Squash Championship
- REIJU CONSTRUCTION CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Charity Express, Happiness Care
- SAB KA MANGAL HO FOUNDATION (India) - Yoga Training at Orphanages
- SHIN KONG LIFE INSURANCE CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Create Shared Value with Sustainable Thinking
- SINO OCEAN HOLDING GROUP (Mainland China) - Little Friends Education Sponsorship Scheme
- SINOPAC FINANCIAL HOLDINGS COMPANY LIMITED (Taiwan) - Keeping the Face to the Sunshine
- TAIWAN LIFE INSURANCE CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Taiwan's New Era in Aging
- THAI LIFE INSURANCE PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - Sharing Kindness By Thai Life Insurance People
- VINCOMMERCE GENERAL COMMERCIAL SERVICES JSC (Vietnam) - Accompanying, Supporting and Promoting Vietnamese Production
Investment In People
- ACBEL POLYTECH INC. (Taiwan) - We Strive to Uphold a Quality Joyous Work Environment
- AP (THAILAND) PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - Navigating Happiness
- BAXTER HEALTHCARE LTD (Taiwan) - Baxter is Making a Difference in our Communities
- CTBC FINANCIAL HOLDING CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - CTBC Human Capital Comprehensive Enhancement Plan
- DOHLE SEAFRONT CREWING (MANILA) INC. (Philippines) - Dohle Seafront Family Programme
- MGM CHINA HOLDINGS LIMITED (Macau) - Making Great Moments
- PROVINCIAL ELECTRICITY AUTHORITY (Thailand) - 1 Tambon 1 Electrician
- TAISHIN FINANCIAL HOLDING CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Dual Mentoring Programme
- TAIWAN POWER COMPANY (Taiwan) - Building the Soft and Hard Capacity for Professionals in the Power Industry
- AIA COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - AIA Sharing A Life Charity Run
- JEBSEN GROUP (Hong Kong) - Project Morning Star - National Model of Comprehensive Rural Eye Care Network Building Project
- KBZ BANK (Myanmar) - KBZ Bank's Cleft Mission with Smile Asia
- METROPOLITAN WATERWORKS AUTHORITY (MWA) (Thailand) - School Tap Water System Project
- NAN SHAN LIFE INSURANCE CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Nan Shan Charity Fund for Community Health Care Programme
- PT JAPFA COMFEED INDONESIA TBK (Indonesia) - JAPFA for Kids-Healthy Food Ambassadors
- SIAM FRESH ENTERPRISE CO., LTD (Thailand) - The Boss Run for Sharing
- ASIA CEMENT CORPORATION (Taiwan) - Deeply Rooting the Seeds of Sustainable Hope – Asia Cement Eco-Environment Education Project
- BETTER WORLD GREEN PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - Green Energy From Industrial Waste
- CELCOM AXIATA BERHAD (Malaysia) - Tasik Chini Empowered-Harmonising Digital Inclusion and Sustainability
- GLOBAL POWER SYNERGY PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (Thailand) - The Zero Waste Village Project
- MALAYSIA AIRPORTS HOLDINGS BERHAD (Malaysia) - klia2: "Embracing Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Aviation"
- NICE GARDEN INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Sustainable Agri-Food Practitioner - NEXTLAND
- PACIFIC SOGO DEPARTMENT STORES CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Less Carbon, Better Life
- PT HM SAMPOERNA TBK (Indonesia) - Carbon Footprint Management in Finished Goods Transportation
- TAIWAN CEMENT CORPORATION (Taiwan) - Turn Carbon Dioxide Into Green
- TAIWAN COGENERATION CORPORATION (Taiwan) - Dedication to Circular Economy, Low-carbon Emission, and Energy Sustainability
- CATHAY FINANCIAL HOLDINGS CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Sustainable Governance
- CTBC FINANCIAL HOLDING CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - CTBC Financial Holding Sustainable Governance Programme
- E.SUN FINANCIAL HOLDING CO., LTD. (Taiwan) - Solid Corporate Governance Led by Professional Managers
- METROPOLITAN WATERWORKS AUTHORITY (MWA) (Thailand) - MWA Corporate Governance Council
Ms Koo Tse Chien
(60) 3 7803 0312
About Enterprise Asia
Enterprise Asia is a non-governmental organization in pursuit of creating an Asia that is rich in entrepreneurship as an engine towards sustainable and progressive economic and social development within a world of economic equality. Its two pillars of existence are investment in people and responsible entrepreneurship. Enterprise Asia works with governments, NGOs and other organisations to promote competitiveness and entrepreneurial development, in uplifting the economic status of people across Asia and in ensuring a legacy of hope, innovation and courage for the future generation. For more information, visit: https://www.enterpriseasia.org/.
About Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards
The Asia Responsible Enterprise Awards programmes recognizes and honors Asian businesses for championing sustainable and responsible entrepreneurship in the categories of Green Leadership, Investment in People, Health Promotion, Social Empowerment, Corporate Governance and Responsible Business Leadership. For more information, visit: https://enterpriseasia.org/area/.
About International CSR Summit
ICS is a series of annual regional events in Asia which gathers top CSR leaders and practitioners to strengthen ties, share experiences and insights, as well as identify regional challenges and opportunities to shape Asia towards a more responsible, sustainable and progressive socio-economic market. For more information, visit: https://enterpriseasia.org/area/ics/.