SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwire - 01/24/11) - Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATHR - News), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced it has added cloud management capabilities to its WLAN solutions for small, medium and large enterprise networks. Through collaboration with PowerCloud Systems, Atheros is offering CloudCommand™ technology in its XSPAN® software development kit, which enables wireless access points and routers to be deployed and managed from the cloud with a web browser. This will accelerate the adoption of cloud-managed network devices and expand the opportunities for networking vendors to serve new markets.Key Facts:
- Atheros is one the world's leading suppliers of WLAN reference designs and software for consumer and business networks. It offers a breadth of performance and feature options to meet a wide range of customer needs -- including single-band and dual-band, 1-stream, 2-stream and 3-stream 802.11n solutions.
- By adding the patented CloudCommand™ technology into its networking software platform, Atheros is enabling a new class of network equipment that can be remotely deployed, configured, secured and managed. Such cloud-based management provides significant benefits to small and medium enterprises (SME) that need advanced networks, but lack an on-site IT staff.
- SMEs have been traditionally underserved because enterprise WLANs can be complex and costly, and consumer solutions lack business-class features such as multi-AP management. As a result, fewer than 16.5 percent of SMEs have deployed wireless networks(i). By offering affordable networking products with enhanced security features and simple, web-based management tools, Atheros' networking customers can better meet the needs of SME customers.
- Cloud management features can also streamline the delivery of products that support emerging smart grid services being deployed by carriers and utility companies.
Drue Reeves, vice president and research director, Cloud Computing and Data Center Strategies at Gartner, Inc."There is a massive market need to manage -- simply and securely -- devices attached to the network. Furthermore, the SME market needs enterprise-class features, but can't afford to acquire and manage them. New cloud-based services will fundamentally revolutionize how network devices are deployed and managed."Dan Rabinovitsj, senior vice president and general manager of Atheros' networking business"As home and SME networks become more sophisticated to handle today's demanding applications, the cloud provides a powerful, yet simple way to manage connected devices. By adding innovative cloud-management features to our networking solutions, we can provide a flexible and secure cloud-management platform and create opportunities for our networking customers to serve new markets."Jeff Abramowitz, founder and CEO of PowerCloud Systems"Atheros is a global leader in connectivity chipsets because it innovates consistently. Partnering with Atheros instantly introduces CloudCommand to a vast, worldwide value chain of ODMs, network vendors and service providers."Additional Resources:
- For information about CloudCommand: www.powercloudsystems.com
- For information about Atheros' access point solutions: http://www.atheros.com/networking/technology.php?nav1=57
Atheros Communications delivers innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Its mission is to invent technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. Building upon its broad expertise in RF and mixed signal semiconductor design, Atheros' portfolio includes a wide variety of connectivity solutions that are used by many of the world's leading networking equipment, computing and consumer device manufacturers. Headquartered in San Jose, California, Atheros has a significant and growing presence in Asia and Europe to serve its global customer base. For more information, visit www.atheros.com.Atheros, the Atheros logo and XSPAN are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. CloudCommand is a trademark of PowerCloud Systems, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS: Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including the features, benefits and performance of Atheros' products and the potential effects of cloud-based services on how network devices are deployed and managed, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.(i) According to ABI Research, "The Mobile SMB and Wi-Fi Penetration, Market Sizing, Forecasts and Segmentation," 2009.