TORONTO--(Marketwire -10/25/11)- Avenza Systems Inc., producers of MAPublisher® cartographic software for Adobe® Illustrator® and Geographic Imager® geospatial tools for Adobe Photoshop®, announced the launch of the PDF Maps app, the first and only geospatial PDF reader on Apple iOS devices including the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that introduces a modern approach to discovering the world for a new generation of digital trailblazers, explorers and map users in general.
Already winning accolades from the International Map Trade Association (IMTA) for the "Best Use of New Technology and New Media," Avenza's PDF Maps features a marketplace for publishers to feature specific geographical maps detailed to a certain locale while offering consumers a library of maps that are global, interactive and expanding on a daily basis. PDF Maps take advantage of geospatial technology that allows travelers to view and measure real world locations and attributes. Paired together with mobile devices that utilize GPS, such as an iPhone, the PDF Maps app provides constant access to geographic locations and even points of interest without the risk of losing reception due to cell tower proximity -- making it the ultimate traveling accessory for those that travel abroad, sailing enthusiasts, cross-country backpacking or any activity that requires a little direction or extends to any area where internet bandwidth is not available.
"Smartphones have made an impact on how the world communicates and processes information -- they are able to provide immediate, tangible data that can be accessed at any time and almost any place. By combining mapping technology with PDF functionality, we are able to provide users with an interactive experience where you can see where you are, input notes digitally and offer a new way of exploring," said Ted Florence, President of Avenza Systems Inc. "Just as easily as people can buy books, music and videos from iTunes, they can now easily buy maps, which is perfect for planning trips or accessing data from thousands of maps available to the public around the globe."
Unlike other map apps that provide one view of a location using GPS coordinates as many maps do, PDF Maps expands a traveler's choices, allowing them to access detailed geography or points of interest created by specific map publishers for use on land and sea. Digital maps are also green eliminating the need for both paper and ink used in paper maps that may need to be updated annually. PDF Maps allows consumers to access information while at a destination, providing travelers an opportunity to make the most of their time experiencing their environment rather than searching for cell reception, a local store or passerby for directions.
Currently, Avenza's vast PDF Maps app library covering maps for domestic and international travel includes more than 55,000 USGS (United States Geological Survey) topographic maps organized by state and area. All maps available through the map store offer the following capabilities:
- Access and load maps through iTunes File Sharing, Wi-Fi or cellular network to read maps anytime
- Access and interact with saved maps without the need for a live network connection (offline)
- View your location on the PDF map using the built-in GPS device or via Wi-Fi triangulation
- Find coordinates of any location in the map, including the ability to type in a coordinate to search
- Display coordinates as Lat/Long (WGS84), Lat/Long (Map Default), Northing/Easting, or Military Grid Reference System (MGRS/United States National Grid (USNG))
- Support for GeoTIFF files to create tiles similar to how a geospatial PDF is tiled
- Map rendering in higher resolution
- Overlay Google search results
- Add waypoints and collect/record information about locations, including photos
- Measure distances and areas
- Open current map extents in the Maps app
- Quickly view, zoom and pan maps using gestures (pinch, drag and flick, double tap)
- Change pin colors, position and label names
PDF Maps is available now on the iTunes App Store free of charge. For more information about PDF Maps, visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com/pdf-maps. Pricing of each map is set by the publisher and free maps remain free to users through the PDF Maps app in-app store.
More about Avenza Systems Inc.
Avenza Systems Inc. is an award-winning, privately held corporation that provides cartographers and GIS professionals with powerful software tools for making better maps. In addition to software offerings for Mac and Windows users, Avenza offers value-added data sets, product training and consulting services. For more information visit the Avenza website at www.avenza.com.