BURBANK, CA--(Marketwire - 11/11/10) - Neil Young attended the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week to present his LincVolt car and deliver the keynote speech about his green-minded ideas for automotive technology.LincVolt is the world's first Micro-Turbine powered Bio-Electro-Cruiser. Designed in 1959 to make long distance trips and local commutes in style and grace, this timeless, beautiful and spacious Electro-Turbine Series-Hybrid now draws its power from a multi-fueled Capstone Micro-turbine generator, a UQM 150KW prime mover and super-safe Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries.In 2008, Young assembled a team to modify his 1959 Lincoln Continental to enable it to run on electricity. The goal was to inspire a generation by creating a clean automobile propulsion technology that serves the needs of the 21st century, reduce greenhouse gas emissions to a new low while delivering performance that is a reflection of the driver's spirit. By creating and demonstrating this new clean power technology, LincVolt hopes to show a way to reduce the demand for petro-fuels enough to eliminate the need for war over energy supplies, thereby enhancing the security of the USA and other nations throughout the world.A few interesting facts about the LincVolt:
- LincVolt, a 1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible weighing 6200 lbs, now converted to an electric series hybrid, can be cleaner than the cleanest hybrid.
- LincVolt's micro-turbine generator gives the driver "FREEDOM of CHOICE." Freedom to choose the fuel you use to charge the battery bank. You decide how green you want to be.
- Choose from these sources:
- 100% Bio Diesel in the turbine generator to charge (Green Charging)
- Plugging into the USA Electrical Grid to charge (Most Economical)
- Petro-Diesel fuel in the turbine generator to charge (Convenient)
- Any blend of the above.
- The Pure Bio-Diesel Fuel choice, called "Green Charging," is the cleanest. "Green Charging" is even cleaner than plugging into the Grid.
- LincVolt, with a 50 mile all-electric commuting range and a 400-mile extended range, proves that a plug-in Electro-Turbine Series-Hybrid and "Green Charging" can deliver the driving spirit of a full size highway cruiser, while achieving lower emissions than the best hybrid in either long range or commuter range.
- LincVolt, as an all-electric commuter car, charging from the USA power grid, can be more economical than most conventional hybrid vehicles.
The SEMA Show is the premier automotive specialty products trade event in the world, drawing more than 100,000 industry leaders from more than 100 countries for unlimited profit opportunities in the automotive, truck and SUV, and RV markets.Part 1 of Young's SEMA Keynote address is posted hereTo view Young's complete Keynote SEMA speech, click here: https://www.youtube.com/user/LincvoltAdditional news from Neil:LincVolt Damaged in Warehouse FireMy wife Pegi and I would like to thank the Belmont-San Carlos Fire Dept for doing such an exemplary job at our recent warehouse fire. A lot of archival items were threatened and the fire department did a first class job protecting them. We are lucky to have these professionals in our area.We are thankful that no one was hurt in the fire. Rest assured that we have the very best fire rescue and protection in San Carlos and Belmont.LincVolt was severely damaged in the fire. We are still investigating the exact cause although it appears to be an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system.We do know that the car has been operating perfectly for almost 2 thousand miles and the system in question would not be in use while driving the car. We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging.It is interesting to note that all of the components except the battery systems in LincVolt are made in the USA. The only components we could not get domestically were the batteries and battery associated systems. We are still looking for a domestic source.There is a computer in LincVolt. It may function like a "black box." It may be useful for gathering data. We will be removing it today and sending it to LincVolt team member Perrone Robotics.While this is a setback for us we are planning ways to continue. We will begin cleaning and inspecting LincVolt today.We had just returned from Las Vegas where we did a presentation of LincVolt at SEMA. We made a 4-part film of the presentation there that was originally to be released on the day of the fire.For more about the LincVolt, please visit www.lincvolt.com.www.neilyoung.comImage Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1420943