MANILA, PHILIPPINES--(Marketwire -11/04/11)- Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PLDT), the country's largest telecommunications provider, today announced the deployment of Cisco® (NASDAQ: CSCO - News) router technologies as a platform for its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN). This implementation, for current and future service requirements across fixed and mobile networks, will meet customer demand for high bandwidth and mobile networks that support video and collaboration by providing enhanced network capacity, high resiliency and robust IPV6 support.
PLDT is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines and offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines' most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed-line, cellular and satellite networks.
PLDT and its wholly owned subsidiary, Smart Communications, the leading wireless services provider in the Philippines with 47.8 million subscribers on its GSM network (as of the end of June 2011), has deployed Cisco CRS-3 and ASR 9000 Series routers to efficiently handle the multidirectional traffic of network and data center cloud interactions.
"PLDT is now equipped for the growth of IP-connected devices used in consumer, business, mobile and machine-to-machine environments using the Cisco CRS-3 and ASR 9000 Series core routing systems. From Internet Protocol television to telepresence, PLDT will be able to address the anticipated growth in Internet traffic brought about by the surge of Internet-based video services," said Napoleon Nazareno, President and CEO, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company.
Businesses today want networks capable of supporting all forms of media, as well as new wireless and wired devices. Achieving this requires building an intelligent network and integrating advanced applications into an adaptable, pervasive, and collaborative system.
The collaboration with Cisco enables PLDT and Smart to keep up with the explosion in volume, devices, speed and bandwidth while satisfying user demand for enriched experiences like online content, multi-screen experience, navigation and Web 2.0. It simplifies operations with the ability to scale and deploy new services in order to increase profits, grow revenue and attract and retain customers.
"We are entering the age of the next-generation Internet and are confident that PLDT and Smart will deliver an exciting, new array of video, mobile, data center and cloud services. This collaboration will lay the foundation for one of the most intelligent and advanced broadband network, and we would like to congratulate PLDT and Smart for raising the bar of telecommunications service in the Philippines," said Stephen Misa, country manager for Cisco in Philippines.
According to Cisco's Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010 - 2015), the number of devices connected to the Internet is driving growth in global IP traffic forecast to reach nearly a zettabyte by 2015, traversing more than 15 billion devices, compelling network operators to seize growth opportunities while monetizing new services.
Through this collaboration with Cisco, PLDT and Smart will be able optimize operations, reduce expenses, and improve scalability and flexibility -- all to deliver next-generation Internet experiences across all devices and locations in the Philippines.
Cisco routing technology enables enhanced productivity through increased video-based collaboration, rich-media services, optimized application delivery, and mobility, which enables businesses to accelerate decision making and collaborate in real time regardless of location. In addition, it provided integrated security, where the network becomes the point of control for preventing and responding to security threats.
About Cisco ASR 9000
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers can serve as the foundational baseline for next-generation Carrier Ethernet networks, providing up to 96 terabits (Tbps) per system.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 platform is designed to deliver a per-slot capacity of 400 gigabits per second along with rich-service capabilities, while minimizing power consumption. The platform includes unique video capabilities such as high-performance multicast, in-line video performance monitoring and zero loss video transport technology.
- With 96 Tbps, an ASR 9000 System:
- Could stream recordings of all Super Bowl, World Cup, and Cricket World Cup matches ever played in less than one second -- in high definition.
- Every man, woman and child in Beijing, London and Moscow (approximately 43 million people) could watch a HD video movie simultaneously.
- 180,000 DVDs could be downloaded every minute.
- The Cisco CRS-3 Carrier Routing System is designed to serve as the foundation of the next-generation Internet and set the pace for the astonishing growth of video transmission, mobile devices and new online services through this decade and beyond.
- The Cisco CRS-3 is designed to transform the broadband communication and entertainment industry by accelerating the delivery of compelling new experiences for consumers, new revenue opportunities for service providers, and new ways to collaborate in the workplace.
- Visit PLDT and SMART online
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco Carrier Routing System
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Learn more about the Cisco Visual Networking Index
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2009-2014
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
Cisco, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, CRS, Carrier Routing System, CRS-1, CRS-3, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI
RSS Feed: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
About Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company
Founded in November 28, 1928, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups: fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology, PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines' most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO - News) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.