BEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS--(Marketwire - Feb 12, 2013) - Acme Packet® (APKT), the leader in session delivery networks, and CounterPath (CPAH) (CCV.TO), a leading developer of award-winning desktop, tablet and mobile VoIP software products and solutions, today announced a joint solution based on CounterPath''s market-leading Bria softphone and Acme Packet''s market-leading Net-Net session border controller (SBC). The solution is targeted at service providers looking to extend service footprint and increase subscriber base by tapping into the growing demand for "over-the-top" (OTT) services that leverage the Internet for real-time voice and video communications.
-- The joint solution is the first to leverage Acme Packet''s implementation of an emerging standard known as Tunneled Service Control Function (TSCF), which delivers an infrastructure-based alternative for real-time, over-the-top (OTT) communications.
-- CounterPath''s Bria mobile edition, a SIP-based softphone for Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, as well as Google Android, now integrates tunneling innovations from Acme Packet that enable increased secure connectivity, enhanced firewall traversal, and interoperability with Acme Packet''s SBCs.
-- The Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the standards organization that oversees the development of IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), is currently working to standardize the TSCF function.
-- Acme Packet and CounterPath designed this solution for service providers looking to provide secure voice, video, IM, presence, and SMS to mobile apps - with higher levels of quality and reliability than current solutions.
-- The joint solution helps customers extend the reach of their services by allowing tunneled sessions to traverse network borders, even in the presence of strict firewalls.
-- With Acme Packet''s patent-pending tunnel redundancy, the solution improves media quality under adverse network conditions and the Internet, where packet loss is common. Both signaling and media are replicated to ensure the highest possible quality of experience.
-- The solution also features CounterPath''s Client Configuration Server, which is used by service providers to deploy and provision the CounterPath mobile app.
Joint Solution Benefits:
- Secure VoIP and video communications for mobile applications on iPhone, Android, and Windows devices
- Maximum service reach with strict firewall traversal
- High voice quality and surmount packet loss for off-net or OTT VoIP services
- Call continuity across Wi-Fi and mobile networks
- Open and standards driven tunneling technology for both signaling and media
- Service provider-grade IP communications and security leveraging hardware assisted encryption and tunneling technologies
- Protection against malicious attacks and non-malicious overloads for OTT services
- Support for standard codecs, regardless of signaling or media type
- "This partnership with Acme Packet only enhances our Telco-OTT offering to service providers with a high-quality, real-time solution that guarantees secure calls in even the strictest network environments. As a result, we believe this joint solution will provide a better experience than what Skype and other OTT players currently offer," said Todd Carothers, Executive Vice President of Marketing and Products, CounterPath. "This solution demonstrates our ongoing commitment to innovation as we continue to provide operators with the technology to beat Internet OTT offerings."
- "In order to compete in the emerging telecommunications industry, traditional telephony providers must learn to embrace Internet philosophies and deliver new and differentiated services via a Telco-OTT model," said Dean Bubley, founder, Disruptive Analysis. "Acme Packet and CounterPath''s joint solution enables service providers to strengthen their OTT service portfolio by improving quality and security."
- "Traditional service providers are increasingly concerned with OTT providers taking subscribers away from their business," said Pat MeLampy, chief technology officer, Acme Packet. "This joint solution enables service providers to compete directly with other OTT offerings and keep customers on their networks. By choosing CounterPath, an industry leading VoIP technology, and Acme Packet, the market leader in SBCs, our customers can deliver all the benefits of OTT services, offer security and reliability, as well as simply interoperate with pre-existing services."
More about Acme Packet and CounterPath:
-- Acme Packet and CounterPath will be demonstrating the joint solution at the upcoming Mobile World Congress, offering select attendees the opportunity to "test drive" the solution through a service offered exclusively during the event.
More about Acme Packet:
-- The Packet
-- The Session
CounterPath''s standards based VoIP softphones are changing the face of telecommunications. The BYOD VoIP favorite, Bria softphone for mobile devices and desktop, together with the company''s easy-to-use client management, provisioning and configuration server enables enterprises, service providers, and OEMs around the globe to offer a seamless and unified communications experience across both fixed and mobile networks. Standards-based, cost-effective and reliable, CounterPath''s award-winning solutions power voice, video, messaging, and presence that empower customers such as Alcatel-Lucent, AT&T, Verizon, BT, Mobilkom Austria, NTT, Rogers, Avaya, BroadSoft, Cisco Systems, GENBAND, Metaswitch Networks, Mitel and NEC.
For more information about CounterPath''s Bria softphone applications and CCS solutions, visit: www.CounterPath.com/products.
CounterPath Forward-Looking Statements
This news release contains "forward-looking statements". Statements in this news release which are not purely historical, are forward-looking statements and include any statements regarding beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future, such as the following: overall, with a strong sales pipeline, channel partners coming on-line and favorable long-term market trends, our outlook for continued growth remains very positive.
It is important to note that actual outcomes and the Company''s actual results could differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements. Actual results could differ from those projected in any forward-looking statements due to numerous factors. Such factors include, among others: (1) general economic conditions as they affect CounterPath and its current and prospective customers, including a continued downturn in general economic conditions internationally, (2) the variability in our sales from reporting period to reporting period due to extended sales cycles as a result of selling our products through channel partners or the length of time of deployment of our products by our customers (3) the Company''s ability to control its operating expenses, which may adversely affect its financial condition, (4) a decline in the Company''s stock price or insufficient investor interest in the Company''s securities which may impact on the Company''s ability to raise additional financing as required, (5) the Company''s ability to remain competitive as other better financed parties develop and release competitive products, (6) the impact of intellectual property litigation that could materially and adversely affect our business, (7) the success by the Company of the sales of its current and new products, (8) the impact of technology changes on the Company''s products and on our industry, (9) the failure to develop new and innovative products using the Company''s technologies, (10) the potential dilution to shareholders or overhang on the Company''s share price of its outstanding stock options and warrants. Readers should also refer to the risk disclosures outlined in the Company''s quarterly reports on Form 10-Q or Form 10-Q/A, or in the annual reports on Form 10-K or Form 10-K/A, and the Company''s other disclosure documents filed from time-to-time with the Securities and Exchange Commission at www.sec.gov and the Company''s interim and annual filings and other disclosure documents filed from time-to-time on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
About Acme Packet
Acme Packet (NASDAQ:APKT), the leader in session delivery network solutions, enables the trusted, first-class delivery of next-generation voice, video, data and unified communications services and applications across IP networks. Our Net-Net product family fulfills demanding security, service assurance and regulatory requirements in service provider, enterprise and contact center networks. Based in Bedford, Massachusetts, Acme Packet designs and manufactures its products primarily in the USA, selling them through over 330 reseller partners worldwide. More than 1,925 customers in 109 countries have deployed over 21,000 Acme Packet systems, including 89 of the top 100 service providers and 51 of the Fortune 100. For more information visit www.acmepacket.com.
Acme Packet, Inc. Safe Harbor Statement
Statements contained herein that are not historical fact may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements may relate to, the benefits of our products and solutions, including cost savings and flexibility. Such forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance and are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated or suggested in any forward-looking statements are contained in the Company''s recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including those factors discussed under the caption "Risk Factors" in such filings.